Indianapolis Beer Spots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm in town for a couple days. What are the must-see watering holes around the JW Marriot/Convention Center area? I see Ram Restaurant and Brewery and might check that out but I'm sure the locals know better than that.

Have a car? If you do venture down to Broad Ripple, there's better selection of places down there. If not Go to Bazbeaux Pizza on Mass Ave (there's also one in Broad Ripple), good pizza but they also have a nice selection of different craft beers including Sun King which is local. Scholars Inn isn't too far either. It's not too far a walk from the JW. Alcatraz just closed not long ago at Circle Center mall. Weber Grill has a few choices including Goose Island stuff, I think they make the Weber Grill Backyard Brew. Decent food. Harry & Izzy's is a sister restaurant to the famous Elmo's, both have the signature shrimp cocktail and a nice selection of brews. On down the street from there is Slippery Noodle, usually some sort of blues playing, many nights it's just a one man show in the "patio" type area. The Red Garter is across from there if you're looking for that too. ;)

Downtown Scotties Brewhouse has a wide variety of microbrews on tap and in bottles. It also has a patio and about a hundred TV's.

Alcatraz struck me as an okay chain type brewpub, not sure if it is a chain, but that is how it struck me.

I haven't been in several years and I understand a bunch of good places have opened up, but I used to like the Rathskeller. Pretty decent German beers draught (and bottles) and a decent vaguely German bar menu. I've gone a couple times when I got in fairly late and needed to eat but didn't really want to have dinner.

I forgot about Scotty's, mostly because I thought the food sucked but they do have a good selection of beers. How long are you in town?

Don't forget MacNivens and Chatham Tap on Mass Ave. Good selections and nice atmosphere (except that MacNivens allows smoking).

Dont forget the tap room that opened last year in city market to feature indiana beers, the taps rotate between all the breweries in state

I will second the Brugge Brasserie. The beer is great and the frites are amaaazing. Think theyre cooked in duck fat and comes with 10+ choices of dipping sauce.

Ugh, I can't get all the way out to Brugge given my short time frame. Freakin clients want after hours meetings and stuff. I walked over to Scotty's thinking it was a brewpub and ended up squashing my disappointment with a Bells Two Hearted. Walked back down to Ram. I'm impressed with the food over there. I destroyed a rack of ribs and washed it down with their Maibock.

I kept seeing coworkers and clients walking into Rock Bottom and I cried a little to myself. Eh, at least they can't get Coors Light in there.

Back