Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this recipe throughout "its life" and I am finally going to brew this up here in a few weeks. As for the hops, I was thinking of doing two different stages of whirlpool/flameout using Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade.

At flameout:
1 oz Columbus for 20 minutes
1 oz Simcoe for 20 minutes
1 oz Amarillo for 20 minutes
1 oz Cascade for 20 minutes

Cool wort to 180 degrees and then:
1 oz Columbus for 20 minutes
1 oz Simcoe for 20 minutes
1 oz Amarillo for 20 minutes
1 oz Cascade for 20 minutes

Finish cooling to 70 and then pitch yeast. As far as dry hopping, I figured 4 or 5 days in primary and then 4 or 5 days in secondary. The original recipe calls for primary fermentation at 66 degrees, then dry hop at room temp for 7 days, and then back down to 66 for 7 days. Curious if you still follow that same dry hope schedule?

Thanks Tim.

Nice experiment zazzler. I am curious about the results. Experimental Brewing is doing a 180f vs. 120f hopstand experiment this month. check that out too.

As for the dry hops schedule, I have played around with that-having read lots about multi-stage dry-hopping, and trying different hops. It looks like the last time I brewed this, I omitted the Cascade and used 1.5oz Amarillo and 1.5oz Simcoe. That was really good. Your dryhops look great, I love Columbus aroma with some citrusy hops.

Happy Brewing,

Tim

The recipe says all whole leaf hops. Will it make a difference if I use pellets?

The difference would be slight. Whole leaf tends to absorb more wort. Also, not exactly sure about the science behind it, but when you input hop additions into brewing calculators (Brewer's Friend for instance), pellets will calculate out to show a slightly higher IBU contribution than whole leaf.

Personally, I wouldn't even worry about these slight differences, though. Brew on.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the recipe. I am planning on brewing 11 gallons of this and splitting the batch, one IRA and the other IRL. I looks like you have changed the boil and the crystal from the original recipe as well as played with the mash temps a little bit. Is it possible to get an updated recipe. Also what was your experience with the IRL re: yeast, temps, and general fermentation schedule.

Best,

FlaglerBC,

The recipe is a wandering beast for sure. I have not brewed this in a while, but my favorite version is:
7.5 Lbs pale (59%)
4 lbs light munich (32%)
.5 lbs C-40 (4%)
.5 lbs C-90 (4%)
1 oz black patent (1%)

1 OZ SIMCOE 60 MIN
1 OZ CASCADE 20 MIN
1 OZ AMARILLO 5 MIN

DRY HOP:
.75 OZ SIMCOE
1 OZ AMARILLO
.5 OZ CASCADE

I have been mashing at 150-152.
Using the Balanced Profile for brewing water from Brewer's Friend.
Yeast- usually American Ale strains ( WY1056 and 1272) on this one, but I have had great results with English strains as well: Wyeast 1098 in particular. I ferment my ales with a ramping schedule. I start low, around 62 f and ramp to about 67-68 by day 4. I find this lets the yeast stay clean and attenuate well. Then I usually begin dry hopping about day 7 if the beer is mostly clear (this happens with English yeast quickly) I dry hop in primary with pellets now in bags. I find they impart aroma quicker, and are just easier to deal with. Dry hops stay in for 4-5 days at room temp, then I rack to keg under CO2 chill, and carb. This beer gets better after a few more weeks, but is ready to drink in 2-3 weeks after brewing.

Regarding IRL, I really love the Mexican Lager strain. It does great in amber beers and is easy to use. Fermentation with this strain is mid 50's. The hops will be a bit muted compared to the ale strain, but the malt really shines. The only other strain I have used for an IRL is the Staro-Prague strain that was a special release. It's from Straropramen Brewery in Prague. That yeast is great too, but tough to find.

Let me know if there is any thing else I can help you with,

Cheers, Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I think you covered all of my questions. I will give this a shot this weekend and post my results. I think I'm going to go with an English strain for the IRA, either 1068 or 1098 depending on what my LHBS has in stock.

Best,

Hey Boyd, I have used 1968 and it was a bit sweet. Tasty for sure- I love that yeast. If you use it, mash lower as you want the beer to dry out

Hey Boyd, I have used 1968 and it was a bit sweet. Tasty for sure- I love that yeast. If you use it, mash lower as you want the beer to dry out

Great!
I happend to of had some unopened!
I love your recipe ... I usually brew it 2x a year and it's one of my favorites!!!

Dear Tim/IRA braintrust,

I have read the entire thread, but I am new to the style of beer.

Looking for input on the hop schedule. Will be doing a 10.5 gal batch with a couple of friends in about 3 more days. We have decided to go with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus.
Here is what I've entered into BeerSmith, and it comes out in the 70-75 IBU range (as recommended):
FWH 1/3 oz each Centennial, Chinook and Columbus

60min 1/3 oz each Centennial, Chinook and Columbus

20min 2/3 oz each Centennial, Chinook and Columbus

5min 1/2 oz Cascade
1/3 oz each Centennial, Chinook and Columbus

0min 1/2 oz Cascade
1/3 oz each Centennial, Chinook and Columbus

Dry hop 1 oz each Chinook and Columbus for 7 days
Dry hop 1 oz each Chinook and Columbus for 4 days

Total IBU comes out to 70.9 in the 10.5 gal

This is way out of my wheelhouse, your assistance would be appreciated!
Thanks,
WillieP

WillieP. just back online. I hope your brew day was a success. I would imagine your have a very dank, piney IRA on your hands based on the hop schedule.

Cheers, Tim

I have been looking at this recipe for a long time, but think I might actually brew it this weekend (if I can get approval from SWMBO).

Can anyone compare this recipe to any commercial examples? Just curious about what to expect. Thanks for putting this out there.

JG

I have been looking at this recipe for a long time, but think I might actually brew it this weekend (if I can get approval from SWMBO).

Can anyone compare this recipe to any commercial examples? Just curious about what to expect. Thanks for putting this out there.

JG

Sorry for the late reply... been busy. I guess you could compare it to Heretic's Evil Twin (Jamil), or Bear Republic Hop Rocket Red but this recipe is IMHO more malty and better balanced. I have never had another red quite like it.

Brewed it recently, has been in the keg a couple of weeks now, and turned out very nice. I think Evil Twin is probably a good approximate, or possibly Evil Dead Red from Alesmith; however, I don't get to try either of those very often so my memory may be a bit off.

I will try to post more information later, but I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Next time I might consider using colombus for bittering, or maybe upping the IBUs a bit, as I think it could use a bit more bitterness for my tastes. I might up the dry hops a bit as well (I used 4oz for 5 gal batch, and I wonder if maybe two seperate dry hop additions of 3 oz each would be a good spot).

Regardless, I've enjoyed this recipe, and think it will become part of my rotation. Thanks Tim:tank:

JG

Finally got around to brewing this one. Brilliant color going into the fermenter and it smelled so good. Can't wait to try it.

Will be brewing this this weekend with the weather finally looking good in Portland, I need a IPA in my empty kegs. Will keep you posted on how it goes, love this thread.

Jason, my hopping has evolved over the years, and I agree the aroma is better with about 2x the dry hops. Also, with the big malt on this beer, it can handle a bigger bittering charge.

I forgot to update, but this one has been all gone for a while now. Will be in my IPA rotation for sure. I agree with Jason, I will up the hops next time, but overall a good brew.

I just won a local competition with this recipe, slightly modified. (Local brewery is going to let me brew it on their system and feature it on tap) Same grist except I subbed the pale malt for marris otter, mashed in at 148f and I changed the hop schedule all around. For 10 gallons i used .5 oz magnum @ fwh, 1 oz each simcoe, amarillo and cascade @ 15 min, 2 oz each @ 5 min, 1 oz each hopstand @ 185f for 30 min and 1 oz each keg hop.

Thinking of wet hopping this with my homegrown cascade hops....anyone tried doing that to this recipe before?

Yes, just be sure the hops are really ripe. I've done a bunch of wet hop beers.Some have been fabulous. Though now I prefer to dry my homegrown hops and use when just dried. For me I get better flavor-sometimes the wet hops can give a vegetal flavor if not really ripe. I'd add only at end of boil so you don't over extract the moisture in the hops.

Yes, just be sure the hops are really ripe. I've done a bunch of wet hop beers.Some have been fabulous. Though now I prefer to dry my homegrown hops and use when just dried. For me I get better flavor-sometimes the wet hops can give a vegetal flavor if not really ripe. I'd add only at end of boil so you don't over extract the moisture in the hops.

I did my first wet-hopped brew last year with my hops and it did have a little bit of that "veggie" flavor to it. I might still go for it on this one. Thanks for the response. :mug:

That sounds wonderful, will brew this next. Ever thought about using a Lager yeast for this one? Could reuse a yeast cake from a Pilsener I will bottle this weekend (saflager 34 70).

Don't have black patent, but a lot of chocolate malt flying around. Do you think it might be good for substitution?

Yes, I have done this as a lager. It was good, less hoppy overall but very smooth. Yes, chocolate malt works, I use it often.

FlaglerBC,

The recipe is a wandering beast for sure. I have not brewed this in a while, but my favorite version is:
7.5 Lbs pale (59%)
4 lbs light munich (32%)
.5 lbs C-40 (4%)
.5 lbs C-90 (4%)
1 oz black patent (1%)

1 OZ SIMCOE 60 MIN
1 OZ CASCADE 20 MIN
1 OZ AMARILLO 5 MIN

DRY HOP:
.75 OZ SIMCOE
1 OZ AMARILLO
.5 OZ CASCADE

I have been mashing at 150-152.
Using the Balanced Profile for brewing water from Brewer's Friend.
Yeast- usually American Ale strains ( WY1056 and 1272) on this one, but I have had great results with English strains as well: Wyeast 1098 in particular. I ferment my ales with a ramping schedule. I start low, around 62 f and ramp to about 67-68 by day 4. I find this lets the yeast stay clean and attenuate well. Then I usually begin dry hopping about day 7 if the beer is mostly clear (this happens with English yeast quickly) I dry hop in primary with pellets now in bags. I find they impart aroma quicker, and are just easier to deal with. Dry hops stay in for 4-5 days at room temp, then I rack to keg under CO2 chill, and carb. This beer gets better after a few more weeks, but is ready to drink in 2-3 weeks after brewing.

Regarding IRL, I really love the Mexican Lager strain. It does great in amber beers and is easy to use. Fermentation with this strain is mid 50's. The hops will be a bit muted compared to the ale strain, but the malt really shines. The only other strain I have used for an IRL is the Staro-Prague strain that was a special release. It's from Straropramen Brewery in Prague. That yeast is great too, but tough to find.

Let me know if there is any thing else I can help you with,

Cheers, Tim

I will use this version of the recipe as a base. I don't know which crystal malts I have flying around, but I guess I will need to swap them out for something I already have. I have Cara hell, which is very light and I think I also got a quite dark crystal here. Will use those, hopefully I will hit the right colour.

I will also slightly change the hops, as I am more into a piny hop aroma for this one. Will use simcoe and one or two other ones.

The yeast will be Nottingham or safale us 05, but I tend to try out Nottingham, as I never used it before.

Any comments on my ideas?

Back