increasing ABV in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debko

Reaction score
I started with 5 gallons of Apple cider and 1/4 cup of brown sugar using Lavlin yeast and a starting SG of 1.050. It has been six days and I have not done anything else yet, bubbling about every 10 min still. Upon reading further I realized that the ABV will not be as high as I thought. It is too late or can I open up bucket during this fermentation and add more sugar or honey to increase the ABV at the end or is it too late?

its never too late but just let it go and use more sugar next time. I used to use 5 pounds of sugar per 5 gallon batch. I now use 5 cups of sugar. I have done 2 pounds per also in the past. try them all and see what you like.

its never too late but just let it go and use more sugar next time. I used to use 5 pounds of sugar per 5 gallon batch. I now use 5 cups of sugar. I have done 2 pounds per also in the past. try them all and see what you like.

Appreciate the feedback, think I'll do that, a little less alcohol never hurt anyone lol. I'll experiment with more sugar in my next batch.

Back