increased carbonic acid after overcarb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussie brewer

Reaction score
Hi, i recently kegged a pale ale which was half carbed in a fermzilla. It tasted really nice until i overcarbed it, now it has a sour lingering taste which really drys the mouth. It seems its the result of an increase in carbonic acid? If i warm the beer up and vent all the pressure then recarb will it go back to how it was or will it stay a bit ruined? cheers!

If it's truly carbonic acid causing the issue, reducing the carbonation, and letting equilibrium between carbonic acid and dissolved CO2 re-establish should fix the problem. I'd give it a couple of days after getting the carb level correct.

Brew on :mug:

^^^

It should go away if you get the carbonation right, then give it several days settle down. Probably take several purges of the pressure to get the carb back down.
Hi, i recently kegged a pale ale which was half carbed in a fermzilla. It tasted really nice until i overcarbed it, now it has a sour lingering taste which really drys the mouth. It seems its the result of an increase in carbonic acid? If i warm the beer up and vent all the pressure then recarb will it go back to how it was or will it stay a bit ruined? cheers!

If it’s in a keg Just take it off the gas and rock the keg and bleed off the pressure prv. When you agitate the keg you will cause co2 to leave suspension. You can get back to proper carb levels in minutes thus way.

Carbonic Acid is just excess co2 so when you degas the beer to an appropriate carb level, you won’t detect it. That is if what you suspect is correct

Last edited:
Running the desired serving pressure thru the liquid post while releasing pressure will also help speed up the process. Just relieving pressure and allowing to equalize takes quite a while if you don't agitate the keg.

So how did you get it over carb?

The set and forget approach is a safe way to go and most beers need a little conditioning time anyways.

Running the desired serving pressure thru the liquid post while releasing pressure will also help speed up the process. Just relieving pressure and allowing to equalize takes quite a while if you don't agitate the keg.

So how did you get it over carb?

The set and forget approach is a safe way to go and most beers need a little conditioning time anyways.
I half carbed it in the fermzilla then hooked up a sodastream bottle with a faulty reg. Was tasting really good then 2 days later over carbed and a really astringent taste on the finish. I let some pressure out for 2 days and the astringent taste is 50% better already

If it’s in a keg Just take it off the glass and rock the keg and bleed off the pressure prv. When you agitate the keg you will cause co2 to leave suspension. You can get back to proper carb levels in minutes thus way.

Carbonic Acid is just excess co2 so when you degas the beer to an appropriate carb level, you won’t detect it. That is if what you suspect is correct
Cheers, its a fair bit better already,hoping it totally goes away

Latest posts

Back