Inconsistent Hop IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brausawyer

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I have a problem that has affected the desired outcome of a recent batch of Altbier that was bottled two weeks ago. I use three different recipe programs (Beer Alchemy, BrewSmith and Brewer's Friend, all on my iPhone).

This beer had an OG of 12.5 Plato and I used 2 ounces of German Spalt hops at 5% aa. Here were the IBU's stated for each app:

Beer Alchemy: 37 IBU
Beer Smith: 33 IBU
BF: 36 IBU

I happen to work in a commercial brewery and ran my bottled beer through a spectrometer that is used to test IBU. The result was 13.9. Way lower than anticipated and quite frankly does not meet my standards of this beer style.

What am I missing? How come all app programs had my hop dosing in spec for the style but actually was way out? Would older hops be blamed for this?

Any insight would be great as I wish to figure out a way to get in the ball park for IBU without "guessing".

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back