Inconsistent Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I opened my first 3 bottles today (albeit after only 3 days conditioning)...The first was excellent, great head retention all the way through drinking...The other two were nicely carbonated but had hardly any head, which was a dissapointment compared to the first...I drank them out of the same glass, didnt wash it or eat any salty or greasy food...The only difference was that I chilled the first bottle I drank...Any ideas as to why this happens? Will my other bottles get a better head as the continue to condition? They taste great but I love a thick creamy head(like I got with the first bottle)

Thanks for your help!

Like the others have said, wait a bit longer and all should be good.

Ive always been of the school of thought that you should rinse out your glass between drinks. Theres something in saliva that screws with a beers head. And you should NEVER wash your beer glasses... detergent will leave a film on the glass that will completly screw with your head... Only ever rinse the glass out with warm water.

Chrus

Hot water actually. I do was occasionally with a bit of suds, but only when the hot water rinse doesn't work. Also you can add some salt to hot water and leave for a bit to get those films off.

Dishwahsers are the worst though. Never seem to get lacing on a dishwashered glass.

Back