Incomplete fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMechanic

Reaction score
I started out with a batch at 1.10 SG, pitched a White Labs California Ale that I grew in a starter for 36 hours. I finished at 1.028 SG which should yield approximately a 10 % ABV. It sat in the fermenter for three weeks prior to kegging, do you think I under pitched or should I have let it set longer?

It was 2 liters, I think I should have doubled the size but I under shot my original gravity and tried to make up for it with extract. Unfortunately I didn't have extra yeast ready to make up for the higher SG. But another lesson learned on the road to mastering the craft.

Need more info, mainly what your mash temp was but also what temp you fermented at. Also keep in mind, typically big beers like that tend to end at a higher FG. It's not uncommon for them to end at 1.02 or a little higher. My big beers typically end b/w 1.018 and 1.022 and that's with more than enough yeast pitched and a mash temp of 150...

If I was forced into answering the OP based on the stats given (like threatened with not having beer for a week) I would say you are fine. If in doubt, try a little rousing and raising the temp for a few days.

With that high of OG the FG is about rite for a RIS or something like that. Prowlley finished fermenting,that will happen sometimes when you add LME. When formulating big OG beers my efficiency drops from 80% to around 65%, it's weird but can stay close to 80% up to about 1.074 IIPA territory.

Latest posts

Back