In line filters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonebender101

Reaction score
Has anyone used a filter to remove floaties before bottling?
Pretty new to the sport and want good results

Thanks
Bonebender from MN

I use a paint strainer bag wrapped around the intake of my autosiphon held in place with a rubber band. I've had to make a wire spiral inside to keep it from clogging with hop particles when I dry hop. Make sure to sanitize before you put it into your beer.

I use a paint strainer bag wrapped around the intake of my autosiphon held in place with a rubber band. I've had to make a wire spiral inside to keep it from clogging with hop particles when I dry hop. Make sure to sanitize before you put it into your beer.

@RM-MN
I'm thinking of something similar. I have a Wilser hop bag I could use as a filter, if I could form it into a rigid well using a wire spiral, then I could dip the intake of the autosiphon into the center to draw clear wort out.

Were you able to find stainless wire? Most of the coils of thin wire I see at the hardware store are galvanized steel.

Last edited:
I'd focus on getting the beer to clear without filtration. Cold crashing is pretty good way to get rid of almost all the floaties and then a gentle hand with the siphon to avoid picking up stuff from the bottom. Avoid splashing and turbulence when beer is exposed to oxygen.

I should clarify that my context is racking wort out of the boil kettle, not filtering finished beer into a bottling bucket

both processes have in common the need to leave behind hops particulates. Cold crashing works great for finished beer, but not for wort in the boil kettle

I should clarify that my context is racking wort out of the boil kettle, not filtering finished beer into a bottling bucket

both processes have in common the need to leave behind hops particulates. Cold crashing works great for finished beer, but not for wort in the boil kettle

OK..OP was asking about bottling. Into the fermenter I did all sorts of things when I started brewing. Had really good results from a large Chinois sieve I picked up at a restaurant supply store. Eventually I let it go (decided not to worry about getting some trub transferred to fermentor) and over time I got better at whirlpooling trub into a cone in the kettle. When I upgraded my kettle to a Spike with it's rimmed bottom kettle whirlpooling got even better.

I use that one during pressure transfers to the keg when I'm in too much of a hurry to wait for cold crashing to do its thing. Works well for that I'd like to fine one that would work with duo tight fittings though.
I also use two or three of these. I have them with all 3 variants of the filter mesh. They work great! Would be awesome to find them with duotight fittings I agree!

Edit: Sorry about the boil kettle question, just saw that. I don't think these would work great for filtering an entire 5 gallon batch of kettle trub, would probably clog. They have a bigger version, also, they are only rated to 170 degrees.

I also use two or three of these. I have them with all 3 variants of the filter mesh. They work great! Would be awesome to find them with duotight fittings I agree!

Edit: Sorry about the boil kettle question, just saw that. I don't think these would work great for filtering an entire 5 gallon batch of kettle trub, would probably clog. They have a bigger version, also, they are only rated to 170 degrees.

how about this:

https://www.vacmotion.com/Details.aspx?Cat=InlineFilters&Id=1793https://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-95mm-38-12-inch-fpt.htmlhttps://www.morebeer.com/products/duotight-pushin-fitting-95-mm-38-14-flare.htmlhttps://www.morebeer.com/products/e...tubing-1564-6-mm-id-38-95-od-placeholder.html

Were you able to find stainless wire? Most of the coils of thin wire I see at the hardware store are galvanized steel.

I just used the galvanized wire I had on hand. It only spends a few minutes in the wort or beer and doesn't seem to affect much. I rinse it off as soon as I get done.

Back