In-Keg Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanty_Shanty

Reaction score
Hello, all. I just kegged my first IPA, and was trying to dry hop right in the keg. I first tried to tie the hop bag to a handle with fishing line and run it down inside the corny (like I've seen people do online), but I wasn't able to get it so that it didn't create a gas leak at the opening. I guess my fishing line is too badassly-thick or something. Then I tried (unsuccessfully) to tie it to the draft line inside, then the gas line inside. My stumpy, fat fingers just couldn't quite make that work. Finally, I just dropped it in and the (sanitized) rocks sank it to the bottom.

But I had an idea (after the fact), and was wondering if it was feasible, or if someone had done it already. Could I attach a hook of some kind on the underside of the lid, so that I could attach a dry-hopping bag to it and let it just dangle in the beer? In my head, that would be perfect and easy.

I'm not bright, nor terribly mechanically inclined, so someone please tell me what's wrong with my idea and why it won't work. Thanks!

Sholdn't be a problem with that, you can buy lids with a welded tab for that purpose. I've used dental floss with keg lube on the lid and gotten a good seal. I've also used stainless tea balls and just dropped them in. I think some folks just leave the bag in loose, I guess I worry about it getting caught and clogging the dip tube.

I use dental floss method. Works well. You must be a cat fisherman!

I wonder if you could buy one of those 3M command hooks and attach that inside of your lid. Just though of that after seeing the previous post about people welding tabs.

Use the flat dental floss. Works like a charm! And my dentist hands them out like candy. He's so happy that I'm asking for extra floss... :)

Yeah, I thought about those plastic hooks, but was wondering how the mounting gum stuff would hold up inside with the moisture from the beer. Also,if it DID come loose and drop into the beer, that gum stuff probably isn't great to drink. I mean, we probably consumed some of it in college at some point, but that was college.

I may have to try that strip floss method. Interesting, interesting...

I do the unflavored dental floss to suspend the yeast in the middle of the keg. I dont even use any other hooks or anything. I have 3-4" of floss just sticking out of the main keg hole and the seal keeps it in place. Works like a charm

What happens when the keg is half empty?

fwiw, I add a piece of SS flatware to a muslin bag of cones and drop it in a chilled keg, and it stays there 'til the keg kicks...

Cheers!

I purposely keep the floss short enough so after a few pints pulled its no longer dry hopping. I've heard over dry hoppin can lead to grassy flavors. I find by the time my keg carbs up I've got a desirable amount of dry hop flavor. Few pints later it will be out of the hops

I've used dental floss successfully, like the others. The only problem I've had is that I used a hop sock (boiled, of course), and removed it after a week, not realizing how much the hops would swell once saturated with beer. It was a tight squeeze getting the hop sock out, made a bit of a mess, and lost a nontrivial amount of beer too (socked into the hops). In the future, I really should look into getting some sort of perforated stainless steel ball/tube to contain the hops. Any suggestions?

I've used dental floss successfully, like the others. The only problem I've had is that I used a hop sock (boiled, of course), and removed it after a week, not realizing how much the hops would swell once saturated with beer. It was a tight squeeze getting the hop sock out, made a bit of a mess, and lost a nontrivial amount of beer too (socked into the hops). In the future, I really should look into getting some sort of perforated stainless steel ball/tube to contain the hops. Any suggestions?

This may work

NEW, Extra-Large Jumbo-Size, Twist-Lock Spice Ball Tea Infuser Herb Infuser, Stainless Steel, Extra Large Size (4" x 4") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4LGIO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4LGIO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, all. I just kegged my first IPA, and was trying to dry hop right in the keg. I first tried to tie the hop bag to a handle with fishing line and run it down inside the corny (like I've seen people do online), but I wasn't able to get it so that it didn't create a gas leak at the opening. I guess my fishing line is too badassly-thick or something. Then I tried (unsuccessfully) to tie it to the draft line inside, then the gas line inside. My stumpy, fat fingers just couldn't quite make that work. Finally, I just dropped it in and the (sanitized) rocks sank it to the bottom.

But I had an idea (after the fact), and was wondering if it was feasible, or if someone had done it already. Could I attach a hook of some kind on the underside of the lid, so that I could attach a dry-hopping bag to it and let it just dangle in the beer? In my head, that would be perfect and easy.

I'm not bright, nor terribly mechanically inclined, so someone please tell me what's wrong with my idea and why it won't work. Thanks!

You onto the right idea. Just use a SS hose clamp on the relief valve on the underside of the lid, and tie or wrap the fishing line around that to your desired length.

I purposely keep the floss short enough so after a few pints pulled its no longer dry hopping. I've heard over dry hoppin can lead to grassy flavors. I find by the time my keg carbs up I've got a desirable amount of dry hop flavor. Few pints later it will be out of the hops

If you start with a cold keg you may find (as I and others have) that even if the keg languishes in the kegerator/keezer for a month or more it won't acquire the dreaded "grassy" notes...

Cheers!

This may work

NEW, Extra-Large Jumbo-Size, Twist-Lock Spice Ball Tea Infuser Herb Infuser, Stainless Steel, Extra Large Size (4" x 4") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4LGIO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X4LGIO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I agree something like this would work. Has some weight and would stay in the beer. However, I have these exact items and the mesh is not fine enough for pellet hops. Much of the finer bits will get through. I also don't think these fit in the keg opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
You onto the right idea. Just use a SS hose clamp on the relief valve on the underside of the lid, and tie or wrap the fishing line around that to your desired length.

I do this also, although I clamp the hop sock right too it, but you gotta keep the hop bag tight so that no loose ends get caught in the relief valve when you purge the air out. It's happened to me a few times, so maybe I should just get some fishing line.

Some great ideas and good insights in here. Many thanks to everyone. When I kick this keg and have to brew another IPA (my wife insists on having an IPA on tap at all times...she's a good woman), I'll take all of these things into consideration.

Many thanks as always!

I do the opposite. I put a sure screen on the dip tube, and if I'm dry hopping with pellets I'll even tie a fine mesh bag over the dip tube. That way I just dump the hops in loose, and let them free float the whole time. Dry hop at room temp for a few days, making sure to swirl the keg every once in a while. Then drop into the keezer. No grassy flavors.

Back