Improving body & head retention in rye beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElMatador

Reaction score
Hello, I recently brewed a Rye beer using roughly 50% rye malt. The end result had a nice flavor, but it was extremely thin, had NO head retention and almost no aroma. The actual grain bill comprised of Werermann's Rye (47.8%), Vienna (23.6%), Chocolate Rye (0.5%), C-120 (7.9%), C-90 (4.4%), CaraRed (7.9%), Rice Hulls, (7.9%). I used a singe temperature infusion mash, at 158 F for 90 minutes, with 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain. I looked up the malt specs for Werermann's Rye malt, and it has total a protein content of 9.0-10.0, a soluble protein content of 0, an S/T of 45-50, and diastatic power of >200WK. According to http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/bmg/noonan.html “The [S/T] is an important indicator of malt modification. The higher the number, the more highly modified the malt. Malts destined for infusion mashing should have an [S/T] of 36-42%, or up to 45% for light-bodied beer. At a percentage much over 45% [S/T], the beer will be thin in body and mouth-feel.” The same article then claims “Brewers can accommodate increases in total protein and [S/T] by adding or modifying low-temperature rests.” This is contrary to what I read in http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-4.html which claims that “Fully-modified malts have already made use of these enzymes and do not benefit from more time spent in the protein rest regime. In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery.” I want to brew a second batch of this beer, and hope to improve the body and head retention. I do not know what techniques and/or ingredients can be used to accomplish this goal. I have considered replacing the Vienna malt with a different base grain, adding a protein rest, using a different brand of rye malt, using a mixture of all these or something else entirely. Can anyone give me some advice, thank you.

I guess I've never used rye in such a high percentage to run into this problem. If the malt is anything like pils malt a protein rest would be beneficial. I also like to use Weyermann Carafoam if I know I'm making a lager with floor-malted grain that would lack protein of a UK or US 2-row malt.

The last Bohemian pilsner I did a protein rest and used carafoam and got a super awesome head on it. Maybe swap some of your Vienna with some carafoam?

Since the body was so thin perhaps your mash pH was low or sulfate/chloride level was on the higher side? What's your source water profile?

Drop the vienna and use munich for body, it won't make it too much darker and will be fuller. For retention try a small amount of carafoam (6ozs or so in a 5-gallon batch) as well as a small portion of oats (1/4-1/2lb simpsons golden naked oats are my favorite). Should have plenty of body as well as head. You could also fool around with mashing a tad thicker, but you're already pretty thick at 1.25qt/lb, so it may be negligible. Only good I've heard coming from protein rests with rye is a less finicky and troublesome runoff, but never tried it.

What's your source water profile?
My local water profile is: Ca = 50, Mg, = 6, Na = 22, Cl = 21, SO4 = 60 & Alkalinity = 136. However, for this batch I used bottled spring water, because the tap water in my area can contribute a “rubber band” flavor.

Back