Improving an extract brew kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
First post here...new homebrewer who has caught the bug. My first brew is bubbling away in the fermenter, and I'm already looking ahead to what I want to make next. I'd like some help before I get started on that one, though.

My NB starter kit came with a Block Party Amber Ale extract kit, which I saved so I could make the La Petite Orange extract that's currently fermenting. I wasn't really thrilled about the Amber Ale kit, and after some research it seems the brew is fairly ho-hum.

If I wanted to spice up the Amber Ale, can somebody offer me some guidance and/or suggestions? I am a big fan of Belgian brews and hefes, and I enjoy a hint of fruit in my beers. The only amber I really find myself going back to is Fat Tire.

Below are the ingredients that come in the kit. Again, I'm a beginner so I'm not familiar with what ingredients supply specific flavors. Thanks for any input.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
0.5 lbs Caramel 80L
0.125 lbs Special B
0.125 lbs Light Roasted Barley

EXTRACTS & OTHER FERMENTABLES
6 lbs Gold malt syrup

PREMIUM HOPS & OTHER FLAVORINGS
Hoptimus Rex 1 oz Willamette (60 min)

DRY YEAST
Muntons Ale Yeast

PRIMING SUGAR
5 oz Priming Sugar

First thing I would do is use a different yeast. Wyeast 1332 (Norhtwest ale) or 1056 (American ale) would be good. S-05 if you want dry yeast.

Second thing ... more hops. Maybe another 1 oz of Willamette and 1 oz of Mt. Hood at 5 minutes or so.

Finally I would bump up the OG a bit, maybe a pound of light dry malt extract.

(Full disclosure -- I pretty much think any recipe can be improved by more hops and higher OG)

I agree with Myelo for the most part. If your not a fan of an amber don't make it an amber.

If you add 3 lbs of DME that should bring you to about 1.060 OG which is a great starting point for an IPA.

I would move the ounce of Willamette to about the 15 min mark. Add 2 ounces of Citra one at 60 min and one at 3 min. if not doing a full volume boil add another half ounce of Citra at the start.

I love the suggestion of Wyeast 1332, but if you are sticking with dry yeast I would recomend S-04 If you decide the IPA route.

Since you said you like Belgians you could also add some dark candi syrup and make this with Belgian yeast. You'd probably want to plug it into a calculator so you can target the OG you want and may have to adjust the IBU's down a bit.

First post here...new homebrewer who has caught the bug. My first brew is bubbling away in the fermenter, and I'm already looking ahead to what I want to make next. I'd like some help before I get started on that one, though.

My NB starter kit came with a Block Party Amber Ale extract kit, which I saved so I could make the La Petite Orange extract that's currently fermenting. I wasn't really thrilled about the Amber Ale kit, and after some research it seems the brew is fairly ho-hum.

If I wanted to spice up the Amber Ale, can somebody offer me some guidance and/or suggestions? I am a big fan of Belgian brews and hefes, and I enjoy a hint of fruit in my beers. The only amber I really find myself going back to is Fat Tire.

Below are the ingredients that come in the kit. Again, I'm a beginner so I'm not familiar with what ingredients supply specific flavors. Thanks for any input.

SPECIALTY GRAIN
0.5 lbs Caramel 80L
0.125 lbs Special B
0.125 lbs Light Roasted Barley

EXTRACTS & OTHER FERMENTABLES
6 lbs Gold malt syrup

PREMIUM HOPS & OTHER FLAVORINGS
Hoptimus Rex 1 oz Willamette (60 min)

DRY YEAST
Muntons Ale Yeast

PRIMING SUGAR
5 oz Priming Sugar

Is this the kit you bought?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brew-share-enjoy-homebrew-starter-kit

I have been mulling over purchasing it, I would your thoughts on it if it is the same one.

Yes jmcdaniel0, that's the same kit I got. I still haven't completed my first brew, so I can't give an accurate assessment. I would say that I've been pleased with how easy it's been so far, though. I did quite a bit of research before I made the plunge, and this was the best beginner kit I came across.

I did find several complaints about the kit, primarily that the sanitizer that comes with it is not enough and that the bottle filler is low quality and leaky. Those are cheap upgrades, though.

I also added another kit (the La Petite Orange extract):
http://www.northernbrewer.com/le-petite-orange-limited-edition-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains

Some additional sanitizer (StarSan 8 oz)
http://www.northernbrewer.com/star-san

And a hydrometer:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewery-essentials-gravity-testing-assembly

I probably would not have purchased the amber ale kit that came with it, but it was part of the package so here I am.

Thanks for the all the advice here. I have decided to add an addition of 1 oz cascade hops to this kit. If I throw them in at the 15-minute mark, would that be sufficient? They would be in addition to the 1 oz willamette that goes in for the entire boil.

Back