Important Hop Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I sent an email to HopsDirect (Puterbaugh Farms) the other day asking:

In general, what is the shelf life of hops when stored vacuum sealed in a
freezer versus a fridge?

IF THEY ARE IN LEAF FORM, I WOULD GO WITH YOUR NOTE BELOW....

(Me: I've always recommended that year old hops should be used for aroma and dry hopping only.)

IF THEY ARE IN PELLET FORM & SEALED TIGHLY, OUT OF LIGHT & KEPT IN THE FREEZER, YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO FOR A YEAR OR TWO.

Thought you'd like to know...:mug:

Good! I planned on ordering about 6lbs of pellets from them. I wanted to pick up some of my haus beer hops that I'm always using. I can't believe their prices! Also, I've heard that hops lose a 20% of their potency (sp?) each year, but I've never had an issue with hops well over that.

There's a big difference between a year or two. I would fully expect them to be good for a year, but I would never bulk buy year old hops. IMO

Anyone who this is news to hasn't read Designing Great Beers.

I highly recommend that book. There's a full chapter on hops with charts showing how AA% decrease over time at various storage temperatures. I wouldn't say that older hops are only good for dry-hopping or aroma. You can use them for bittering but you need to adjust the quantities appropriately.

I highly recommend that book. There's a full chapter on hops with charts showing how AA% decrease over time at various storage temperatures. I wouldn't say that older hops are only good for dry-hopping or aroma. You can use them for bittering but you need to adjust the quantities appropriately.
True, you could adjust the quantities, but that would only be guessing...as much as we "guess" already...:D

And older hops can be used for Lambics...

Designing Great Beers was the first book I bought when I decided I was getting into all-grain. It was a little overwhelming at first, but I've come to love the book. I don't look at it much anymore, but if there's a style I'm not very familiar with, I'll pull it out.

I have about 40 brewing books in my library...I know I don't have every word memorized so I resort to pulling them out whenever I'm looking for something specific. If someone limits themselves to only one book then they're the fool.;)

Weirdboy: FWIW, I realize some people THINK they KNOW EVERY GD nuance about brewing, but this info was intended for the ones who don't...:D

Some people will only believe info if it came directly from the horse's mouth (hence the reference to the dealer) than from people's opinion...they're funny that way. ;)

I have about 40 brewing books in my library...I know I don't have every word memorized so I resort to pulling them out whenever I'm looking for something specific. If someone limits themselves to only one book then they're the fool.;)

Weirdboy: FWIW, I realize some people THINK they KNOW EVERY GD nuance about brewing, but this info was intended for the ones who don't...:D

Some people will only believe info if it came directly from the horse's mouth (hence the reference to the dealer) than from people's opinion...they're funny that way. ;)

I don't have quite 40 books. Honestly, I didn't know they made that many. Unless you're talking about individual style books. I recently purchased Hombrewer's Garden... worthless. I've already been growing my own hops for awhile now, but I was hoping it would have a little more info on fertilization techniques and insect repellant. It had a nice article about plants to use in place of hops though...somewhat interesting.

Anyhow... I'm with you. Don't limit yourself. I enjoy reading about brewing, so I'm always finding new articles and books.

DGB is pretty good, but seriously lacking some Belgian styles. I know it's a broad area, but several of those styles would be pretty easy to include.

I bought 4 lbs of hops. I don't care if they are last years. For the simple fact that I can adjust if need be, and for another reason that if I buy enough different hops to make most styles a possibility, I should be able to brew at nearly at given time, which is the main point. I'll have enough on hand that even if they get too old, and I have to toss them, I'll still be ahead on cost over buying each ounce at the LHBS.

I've got some IPAs and IIPAs in the schedule now!

Back