Importance of yeast nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some Apfelwien going, and its been about two weeks and it seems to be doing fine(airlock activity about every 10 seconds, not to long ago it was going every second). However, I just realized i think I only put about 1-2 table spoons of yeast nutrients in the batch, the bottle calls for 1 per gallon(so 5 in total). Is there any real problem with this, should I add more now?

It really depends on what you're making- I have never yet used that much nutrient in anything! Usually a pinch if I use any at all. In apfelwein, I can't imagine any would even be necessary, let alone tablespoons of it!

Yeast nutrient can be helpful, but is cetanly not essential in homebrewing. With that said, I typically use it when I'm brewing lagers which inherently require a bigger pitcing rate anyway.

Yeast nutrients are most essential during the first stage of fermentation when the yeast are reproducing, little to no reproduction goes on after the first couple days, at that point they are just converting sugars to alcohol. If it is past the first couple of days, don't worry about it, it won't matter much right now.

Back