Imperial Strawberry Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
I wanted to throw this up here to get some comments/suggestions. I started this last weekend. Here's what I've got going on:

I used a Brewer's Best Imperial Blonde kit which includes:

FERMENTABLES
6.6 lb. Pilsen LME
1 lb. Wheat DME
1 lb. Corn Sugar

SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb. Honey Malt

HOPS
1.5 oz. Bittering
5 oz. Flavoring
5 oz. Aroma

My plan is to let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks. I plan then to add to it about 5 or so pounds of frozen strawberries, boiled (10 min or so at 160*) and then cut into chunks. I plan to simply but the strawberries in a mesh bag and drop them right into the primary and let it sit for another 2 weeks or so.

The kit itself is supposed to be around 7-8% ABV, but I'm thinking with the strawberries it may very well be closer to 9% or higher, which is fine by me. I'm kinda hoping for a knock-your-socks-off beer.

Anyway, that's my idea. Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you're cooking the strawberries,you are going to add the juice too,right? Cause you'll be cooking the sweet flavor out of them.

Well, truthfully I may not even cook them. I've heard both good and bad about cooking fruit. I may just let them thaw and then chop 'em up. I'm thinking this may be the best way to go since the alcohol content is so high on the beer that it should (in theory) be able to fight off most of the bad stuff that may be on the fruit.

The one good thing I've heard about cooking fruit is that it breaks down the cell wall and allows the fruit to be more easily broken down by the yeast. Though I think the freezing/thawing process would break down the cell well also? I dunno...

That's why they say thawed,frozen fruit is better. Plus,you get more juice when thawed.

YES! But I made a mistake and thawed it, and allowed the strawberries to stay at room temperature for too long before I racked the beer on top. Slightly annoying off-strawberry-flavor for the time being, but letting the bottles sit a little longer will cure it.

Next time I brew with fruit, I'm going to rack on top of them while still frozen. So when they thaw, they'll already be in with the alcohol and CO2 headspace of the beer.

That's an interesting idea. Just put'em in a grain bag,tie off,& chuck'em in. The juice should mix in as they thaw. I was just remembering something I saw on youtube. This guy was adding blueberries,thawed. He put them in a bowl & took a potato masher to them. Then covered them with plastic wrap. You could then put'em in the fridge till ready to add.

Latest posts

Back