Imperial Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
A beautiful thing to behold these beers are. Just tried the Left Hand Brewing Co. offering and was impressed. Problem is, I haven't found one of these I don't love, so its hard to give an unbiased review. Next on my list to try is Stone Imperial Stout, I would have bought that tonight instead but I saw that it was only 7.5 ABV compared to 9, and I was looking for a bit more punch :cool: . I really want to get some Three Floyds Dark Lord but I can't find it. If someone can easily get some of this I'd be happy to trade some harder to find brews that are available to me. Anyone with Imperial reccomendations?

OSUmoney83 said:
A beautiful thing to behold these beers are. Just tried the Left Hand Brewing Co. offering and was impressed. Problem is, I haven't found one of these I don't love, so its hard to give an unbiased review. Next on my list to try is Stone Imperial Stout, I would have bought that tonight instead but I saw that it was only 7.5 ABV compared to 9, and I was looking for a bit more punch :cool: . I really want to get some Three Floyds Dark Lord but I can't find it. If someone can easily get some of this I'd be happy to trade some harder to find brews that are available to me. Anyone with Imperial reccomendations?

Heh..the one I brewed recently. It's strong as hell! So strong, that you probably shouldn't have a full 12 oz. bottle and plan on doing anything for the rest of the night. It's got a good stout taste...the only complaint I've got about it is that the alcohol bite is right up in your face. First sip feels like doing a shot of whiskey.

That's weird. I'm drinking Old Rasputin now. It is good. I like how it's 9% alcohol, but it doesn't taste like it. I saw Three Floyd's at my local Spirits store...not Dark Lord, though...a Scotch ale, I forget the name, and they carry another one at least, cause there was a spot for it, forget what it was.....

No doubt. The smoothness is great. I'll be drinking it again, for sure. Gotta try Bert Grant's version, though...Anyone recommend it?

I just had my first Imperial last week. Got a bottle of it form Samuel Smith's. I don't recall the acohol content, but man that stuff was EVIL. Tates just like their Taddy Porter (which is sold as a stout in Britain) but with everything doubled.

I love Taddy Porter, but I worked on that Imperial for about 30 minutes and gave up. The first beer I haven't finished in many years. Just too friggin' much for me, and I love "big" beers.

I'm quickly becoming a fan of Stone's brews, so I wouldn't heisitate to give theirs a try.

Sam

Back