Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallags

Reaction score
Brewed Imperial Stout last week and it’s been in 5 gallon bucket for last 7 days. Problem is I can’t get a good gravity sample from the bottom nozzle of the bucket because of the large amount of sediment that settled on the bottom. I’m concerned that this will also cause a problem transferring the beer to the priming bucket. Would it be a good idea to rack the beer into a different container first using cheese cloth or something else to strain it or are there other options? Thanks.

Brewed Imperial Stout last week and it’s been in 5 gallon bucket for last 7 days. Problem is I can’t get a good gravity sample from the bottom nozzle of the bucket because of the large amount of sediment that settled on the bottom. I’m concerned that this will also cause a problem transferring the beer to the priming bucket. Would it be a good idea to rack the beer into a different container first using cheese cloth or something else to strain it or are there other options? Thanks.
No...... do NOT rack it through cheese cloth - you will aerate it and probably introduce contaminants.

It has only been a week and it is a RIS..... it is not done. There is no need to take a gravity sample right now. I would just leave it alone until at LEAST day 14.....maybe even day 21. Around day 18 or so, put it up on the counter you plan to transfer it from. Let it sit and settle out from moving it. The night before yo plan to bottle it, take a sample out of the spigot to check gravity just to make sure it is in the ballpark of where you are planning for it to be. Make sure to spray the spigot out well with star san. Make sure to take airlock out before opening spigot so you don't get suck back through airlock.

2-3 weeks will allow most sediment to settle out. Putting it on counter a couple days before transfer will help it clear as well. Some sediment will go into bottling bucket, but not a lot and it will mix into it pretty evenly and be no big deal for bottling.

*** Also - if you pour 8-16 ounces or so off through the spigot (for gravity sample and a bit more)... you will pull a good bit of the sediment that would end up in your bottling bucket and the rest should be pretty clean.

Last edited:
Like the Braufessor said, don’t rack and cheesecloth. For especially large amounts of sediment I will use an auto siphon instead of the spigot. Just let it wait, you don’t need to check gravity after a week, it’s a RIS, it’s gonna take some time.

No...... do NOT rack it through cheese cloth - you will aerate it and probably introduce contaminants.

It has only been a week and it is a RIS..... it is not done. There is no need to take a gravity sample right now. I would just leave it alone until at LEAST day 14.....maybe even day 21. Around day 18 or so, put it up on the counter you plan to transfer it from. Let it sit and settle out from moving it. The night before yo plan to bottle it, take a sample out of the spigot to check gravity just to make sure it is in the ballpark of where you are planning for it to be. Make sure to spray the spigot out well with star san. Make sure to take airlock out before opening spigot so you don't get suck back through airlock.

2-3 weeks will allow most sediment to settle out. Putting it on counter a couple days before transfer will help it clear as well. Some sediment will go into bottling bucket, but not a lot and it will mix into it pretty evenly and be no big deal for bottling.

*** Also - if you pour 8-16 ounces or so off through the spigot (for gravity sample and a bit more)... you will pull a good bit of the sediment that would end up in your bottling bucket and the rest should be pretty clean.

Thank you

Like the Braufessor said, don’t rack and cheesecloth. For especially large amounts of sediment I will use an auto siphon instead of the spigot. Just let it wait, you don’t need to check gravity after a week, it’s a RIS, it’s gonna take some time.

Thank you

While telling someone to wait is almost always gonna work, I will take issue with the idea that fermentation will take at least 2 weeks. A healthy “ale” pitch will be done in 3-5 days, even at RIS gravity.

Edit: clarified ale yeast

I’m confused. Are you pulling a gravity sample out of the spigot?
1) just peak in the top. If the fermentation is complete then let it sit.
2) If it’s an Imperial Stout. Definitely let it sit for a while.
3). Don’t drain out of the spigot. That piece of equipment is only for bottling. Use a siphon.

Honestly using a single bottling bucket for the entire process is risky for the very reason you described.
Always have 2 vessels.

3). Don’t drain out of the spigot. That piece of equipment is only for bottling. Use a siphon.

Honestly using a single bottling bucket for the entire process is risky for the very reason you described.
Always have 2 vessels.

I have 2 vessels. A fermenting bucket and a priming bucket.

Always have 2 vessels.

Why would you recommend using a siphon over a spigot? OP, attach enough tubing that you can reach the bottom of your bottling bucket (or a QD if kegging).

Siphoning is a great way to add O2 to your finished beer :)

Why would you recommend using a siphon over a spigot? OP, attach enough tubing that you can reach the bottom of your bottling bucket (or a QD if kegging).

Siphoning is a great way to add O2 to your finished beer :)

I think the oxygenation issue is way over-hyped. You are already introducing oxygen anytime you transfer beer whether to a priming bucket or fermenter and regardless of using a spigot or siphon. It seems the effect a siphon would have on oxygenation would be minimal. You're only creating vacuum and any oxygen you would introduce would be trivial. Just my opinion though.

Using the spigot works great..... However, you do have to take extra steps to make sure you are always paying attention to sanitation.
*Always take that spigot completely apart (they come apart) between uses to clean.
*Keep a plastic baggie over the spigot with rubber band while fermenting to keep fruit flies/etc. out.
*Spray out spigot well with sanitizer before transfer.

Anytime you can avoid an extra step, I personally think it is a good idea to avoid it.

That is why I advocate for NOT checking the gravity at day 7...... It really only needs to be checked when you plan to do something with it.... and in a RIS, that is not day 7.

Likewise, if you can drain via gravity, that is easier and involves fewer things than using a siphon.

A lot of brewing however is simply the process you get used to and the process that fits your own system.

Back