Imperial Stout Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I made up an Imerial Stout several months ago and I had it on tap for awhile, then needed the space in my Fridge to crash cool a Sparkling Wine, so I removed the keg and it has warmed to room temperature.

I want to return the keg to use, but I am concerned that cooling and warming may harm the beer. It was carbonated, then tapped using a beer gas mix. It is still pressurized with the beer gas as it sits at room temperature, so is there any chance it will be fouled up?

How many times can one do such a thing with homebrew? My Stout does not get used much and I don't have room at the moment to expand my kegging capacity with the refrigerator I currently have. Two Keg/Tap system at this time.

Salute! :mug:

It will be OK for one cycle. I have never tried a second time. OG over 1.060 I pretty much bottle to avoid this problem.

Fridge space is kinda like cash and hot women, you can never really get too much.

I agree, if I need the space I pull the keg and bottle it, even better that it is a dark high ABV beer, you want it to last and enjoy it.

I agree, if I need the space I pull the keg and bottle it, even better that it is a dark high ABV beer, you want it to last and enjoy it.

Yeah.... I got a bunch of Grolsch bottles and the closures are near new condition, so I think I will bottle and not worry about it. If time permits. I make wine at home to, so it's one thing or another almost all the time.

My son is stationed in Hawaii (Army) at Scofield Barracks. Been there since returning from Irag on his second tour. He's interested in brewing, but no one around there to learn from.

Salute! :mug:

Noob question here, but how do you bottle a beer that's already carbonated. When you transfer it to the bottles, won't it foam up and lose it's carbonation?

Back