Imperial Stout, "No carbonation yet"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjfvt

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed an Imperial stout with a ABV of 10.2. I primed the 5 gallon batch with 6 ounces of maple syrup, this was a little more than the brewers calculator said to use. The bottles have been conditioning for two months and no carbonation has started yet.

Thanks
Rick

10.2 is high enough that the yeast may not of had enough left to finish the job. You may need to add more yeast and a little sugar to finish.
Are you keeping it warm?
Since you opened one did you taste it? Does it have any residual sweetness to it?

You may have to pop the caps add a little yeast and a few priming tablets and re cap it. I've had to add yeast in the past to high ABV beers to get them to carb. I used 3711 and an eye dropper. It's a huge pain in the ass.

The beer has been conditioning at about 67 to 70 degrees. the last beer we sampled, it did have a little maple sweet taste. Rather than adding yeast I might dump it all in a keg then buy a Blinkman beer gun and fill some bottles that way. What do you al think?

I also don't know I we want to wait the six months and not know it its going to carbonate?

I had that happen this year with an RIS. I waited 6 months and nothing. What I dig was hydrate a packet of champagne yeast, uncapped all bottles, put 4 or 5 drops of the liquid yeast in the bottle, recapped them with new caps. In 3 weeks I had perfectly carbed beer. I didn't add anymore sugar.

I think sometimes either the yeast drops out during conditioning, or is just pooped out and can't do it anymore. Reyeasting worked for me!

Beer gun will be the easiest by far! I may have to repeat your experience so I have an excuse to buy one :). A couple of my buddies have them and they work great. We just sampled a barley wine that was bottled two years ago with one and we didn't detect any oxidation. Make sure you transfer gently, don't splash or make bubbles. You may want to purge the keg with co2 before you start to transfer the bottles.

Back