Imperial stout grain bill feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinogn

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls!

Been an avid beer drinker for years and have finally taken the step into home brewing. I have two brews under my belt now, and have been reading and getting a lot of helpful information on this forum(Thank you!), so it's about time I registered and started posting here myself!

I have decided that my next brew will be an imperial stout (I am aware that I might be over biting off more than I can chew here, but I decided to try), and I have been playing around with a grain bill for a while now. I've been looking at recipes and forums trying to understand what the different grains bring to the table, and from that I've tried to put something together. It would be really great to have some more experienced guys like you look over it and give me some feedback. I like imperial stouts with a bit of sweetness, a bit roasted (but not too much) and I love notes of flavors of chocolate, caramel and coffee.

5gal batch - OG 1.101 - FG 1.025

(71%) 15,45lb Marris Otter
(8%) 1,75lb CaraMunich II
(8%) 1,75lb Flaked Oats
(4,1%) 0,9lb Chocolate Malt
(4,1%) 0,9lb Roasted Barley
(3,4%) 0,75lb Dark Crystal 80L
(1,1%) 4oz Special B

Do I have to little roasted malts in this, or is it fine? Anything you would swap out for something else? Any feedback is much appreciated!

I was also considering adding cacao nibs, but I don't want it to stand out like chocolate has been added, more like it's just a subtile part of the flavor. In such case, how much would be appropriate? I have also played around with the idea of splitting the batch and adding raspberries to one part after tasting the Cigar City 110k OT batch 6 and completely loved it!

-Robin

Back