Imperial Stout Carb Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooblue02

Reaction score
Is there a trick to getting an imperial stout to carb up in the bottle? I used the sugar calc for a regular stout but I think that may have been my problem. The beer tastes wonderful, not too sweet at all so I am wondering if time is the only thing that might help?

I made a 3 gallon batch and it sat in the fermentor for 6 weeks, verified FG, then bottled back before memorial day and just tried my first one this evening... Kind of bummed there is no fizzy? Anything I can do or should i just enjoy it as is? Not going to dump it! Temps for fermenting were in the low 60's using a California Ale yeast (liquid), and bottle temps have been the same as the fermenting (maybe slightly higher like 68-70? Hard to tell as I don't have great temp control... YET!

Thanks!

Might just need a little more time and temperature.

Other issue: ABV. Yeast can only handle a certain level of alcohol. If you are above that (not uncommon on imperial brews), the yeast may have no more potential.

I will try that out, thanks! If the ABV is too high, is there any hope or should I do something different next time??

If abv is too high, you can find a more alcohol tolerant strain (can't help with that, but that's gotta be out there on the interwebs), make a slurry, add a little to each bottle with a sanitized eye dropper, and recap.

That said, I'd try raising the temp and waiting a couple of weeks before going that route.

Off topic - I like your profile pic. Which boat? I was on the good ship Miami 10-12 years back. God bless her soul...

If your yeast got you down to a suitable FG, they're tolerant to whatever ABV your at, I would think.

What yeast season did you use, and what was your OG and FG? I really don't think that's your problem though. Usually carbonation issues with big beers happen because of very long aging periods (like several months in the secondary) more than anything else.

Warm up your bottles a bit. Colder temperatures will really slow down carbonation. Give them two weeks above 70.

+1, your temps are low for fermenting and carbing cali ale yeast, 68 to 73 is what it should be if its WLP-001

Also when you do put 1 in the fridge, leave it there for 3 days before trying it, this time allows the co2 to completely go into solution.

Good luck, proper temp and time will make all the difference!

Cheers :mug:

Back