Imperial Rye IPA tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxp

Reaction score
I'll be brewing what is both my first rye and my first imperial IPA this weekend.

Overall, I wanted something big and boozy with a malty backbone to support citrus and spice. I would like a notable rye contribution but not overwhelming or overpowering, particularly with respect to the hops. My Googling so far seems to indicate that is somewhere in the 10% to 20% range.

How does this look? I have another pound of rye, should I add it or keep it as?

Also, I have not settled on dry hops and am open to ideas. I have 2 oz of Summit on hand.

Any other suggestions?

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.375 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.250 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 106.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.2 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
13 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 72.20%
3 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) 16.70%
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 11.10%
1.000 oz Chinook - Boil 60.0 min 39.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) -
1.000 oz Centennial - Boil 15.0 min
0.500 oz Chinook - Boil 15.0 min
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 10.0 min
1.000 oz Centennial - Boil 10.0 min
0.500 oz Chinook - Boil 10.0 min
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 5.0 min
0.500 oz Centennial - Boil 5.0 min
0.500 oz Chinook - Boil 5.0 min
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 0.0 min
0.500 oz Centennial - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

Mash: 150*F
Estimated FG: 1.018
Estimated ABV: 8.9%

Hoping to brew this up tomorrow, timing permitting. No thoughts? I'll take anything :)

Add the extra lb of Rye. I think you will probably be disappointed with the rye flavor even at that amount. I like to go 20% minimum, and even that is low ..... problem is you get slow sparges, so add some extra time to let the mash drain .... a lot of extra time.

I like to add my 0 minute hops after I have cooled the wort to 175 F, and then leave it for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).

I think I would dry hop with some more of the hops that you have in there. Amarillo, Chinook, Centennial. I think I would just dry hop with a single hop.

I would agree with adding the extra rye. If you're looking to really get the spiciness from the rye you need to be at like 15-20%

Thanks, all -- an extra pound it is! No rice hulls, unfortunately. <gulp> I like to use the spent grains for bread baking so avoid hulls unless necessary and it seemed to be about a 50/50 split on using hulls with small amounts of rye. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks, all -- an extra pound it is! No rice hulls, unfortunately. <gulp> I like to use the spent grains for bread baking so avoid hulls unless necessary and it seemed to be about a 50/50 split on using hulls with small amounts of rye. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You will be OK. Just allow extra time for draining the mash and sparge.

Back