Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbunn

Reaction score
So I'm looking for advice to see what more experienced folks think, but here's the basic recipe:

7 gallon batch

Grain bill:
15 lb Briess 2 row
4 lb Lt. Munich
1 lb Chocolate malt
12 oz Crystal 60
12 oz wheat (red?)
4 oz Carafa Special III
5 lb or so of roasted pumpkin

Hops:
1 oz Warrior (17%) at 60 min
1 oz Willamette at 5 min
2-3 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice @ 2 min

6 oz cacao nibs in secondary

Yeast: Nottingham, Safale 04 or 05

Anyone wanna chirp in on whether I'm making a mess or have a decent plan of action? Thanks in advance!

That actually sounds pretty good. As others have mentioned before, pumpkin in the mash can lead to a stuck sparge, but I personally didn't have any problems with it when mashing it in my vanilla pumpkin lager. I only used 2 lbs, though, instead of 5, but I would err on the side of caution and use a couple handfulls of rice hulls. Otherwise it sounds good and I would love to hear how it come out. Cheers! :mug:

I mostly do BIAB, and this will probably be the same... so the pumpkin really isn't much of a concern. Maybe some day I will be all fancy and go mainstream, but the beer usually turns out really good, so I don't have a whole lot of incentive to change... for now.

Back