Imperial blonde down to 1.011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John1963

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed an Imperial Blonde Ale on May 2, ( brewers best kit) started with on OG of1.070 which is at the top end of the range. Kept it at 65 - 70 for the ferment. 14 days later and she is still bubbling through airlock (30 seconds between)and gravity is getting close to 1.010 which is .05 lower than the fg range, should I put this out in the cold for a few days (garage) to stop it or just let it run its course ??? Thanks in advance !!

Probably need to keep checking it and let it run its course, especially if you're bottling. I've got a buddy though who says his uncle drops in some sort of tablet to stop fermentation when he hits thre fg he wants, then kegs it. That was a new one for me.

Potassium sorbate is added to stop yeast from multiplying. This will allow you to "stop fermentation" and even add the ability to back sweeten or add more fermentables with the yeast converting it to ethenol.
C6H7KO2 won't kill yeast, so I don't think it will give any off flavors of used correctly.

I would also let it ride out a few more days. I'd be afraid of bottle bombs, too.

I would also recommend waiting for it to finish instead of bottling. You run the risk of bottle bombs when it carbonates in bottle. If you keg it and leave it in the fridge, then you can effectively halt fermentation.

Check the gravity again after a couple of days, as your beer could be finished. Bubbles in the airlock twice a minute don't necessarily indicate fermentation is ongoing, as it could also just be CO2 releasing. All sorts of things can cause CO2 to release, such as temperature changes and movement of the liquid.

Although I don't know the amount of hops you added, I bet your beer will still be delicious at 1.010.

Sounds like a good beer for me. I prefer a drier beer, 1.015 would probably be too sweet for me. Let it ride.

What yeast did you use?

She finally gave up bubbling mid morning lol right at 1.010, started at 1.070 so should be 7.87 abv. I put it out in garage to chill a little bit, bottle caps came today so I will bottle it tomorrow night.
I used the bry-97 yeast that came with the kit. I am looking forward to this one, should be interesting, when I was steeping the grains at the beginning I mistakenly put the wheat dme in bag as well .... wasn’t supposed to add till 30 minutes into boil wonder how much the flavor will be effected lol. Thanks everyone for the help !!!

Back