Imperial Belgian stout (IBS fir short)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
Here is a recipie I'm thinking of brewing next week. I would brew with the thought of aging it for about a year. It would also be secondaried with bourbon soaked oak.
I started out making a RIS but then decided to give it a Belgian twist. What do you all think?

imperial belgium stout
Imperial Stout
All Grain (5.50 gal) ABV: 12.03 %
OG: 1.101 SG FG: 1.011 SG
IBUs: 82.8 IBUs Color: 66.3 SRM
By:
Ingredients

2 lb - White Wheat Malt
Mash addition (8.3%) - 2.4 SRM

*1 lb 8.0 oz - Oats, Flaked
Mash addition (6.3%) - 1.0 SRM

*1 lb - Chocolate Malt
Mash addition (4.2%) - 350.0 SRM

*1 lb - Black Barley (Stout)
Mash addition (4.2%) - 500.0 SRM

*15 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (62.5%) - 2.0 SRM

*1 lb - Special B Malt
Mash addition (4.2%) - 180.0 SRM

*1.50 oz - Warrior
First Wort Addition (75.6 IBUs)

*1.00 oz - Hallertauer
Boil 15 min (7.3 IBUs)

*1 pkg - Trappist High Gravity
Wyeast Labs #3787

*1 lb - Candi Sugar, Dark
Add after boil complete (4.2%) - 275.0 SRM

1 lb - Brown Sugar, Light
Add after boil complete (4.2%) - 8.0 SRM

*8.0 oz - Molasses
Add after boil complete (2.1%) - 80.0 SRM

Since you already have a pound and 1.5 lbs oats I'm not sure if you are going to need the wheat. I like the special B in a big stout like this but I would want to add some roasted in there as well. Brown sugar is basically sucrose with some molasses added. Candi sugar is sucrose that has been caramelized and crystallized. Save your money and look up how to make your own from table sugar and go with that and molasses. I think its pretty easy to do. I've never used molasses before but I know that it can be easy to overdue. Be sure .5 lbs is not too much.

It says '1 pkg 3787', are you planning a starter? I think the molasses are out of place and will dominate or at least conflict with all the other strong flavors. 1.011 is a little low on this beer for me. I like dry, but on such a big beer that may seem thin. I doubt you'll taste anything in the final beer from a 15 minute hop addition. Personally, I'd use Belgian de-bittered black instead of roast barley to let the yeast play a bigger part in the profile, but I guess that's a matter of preference on how 'belgiany' you want it to be.

Edit: Just saw the candi sugar. Ditto on the above post, it's not worth buying. I thought it said candi syrup, which is worth buying. I've tried to make it and had other homemade attempts and it's never that good. Considering the time, effort, and expense that goes into a beer like this, I think it's well worth the $7 a pouch for one or two pouches. I'd probably use one d-90 and one d-180. I also like turbinado or demerera much better than regular brown sugar, although probably won't be able to tell the differnce in this one.

Yes there will be a 4 litre starter made and pure O2 injection into the wort. The candy sugar will be the dark syrup, I must have selected the wrong item. I have tried to make my own but failed miserably. I will look into the debittered malt sounds much better for this. I see the point of the late addition of hops.

I changed it up and bought the specialty grains and sugar syrup for it today. What do you think of the changes?

imperial belgium stout
Imperial Stout
All Grain (5.50 gal) ABV: 11.24 %
OG: 1.095 SG FG: 1.010 SG
IBUs: 86.2 IBUs Color: 59.6 SRM
By:
Ingredients

15 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US
Mash addition (66.7%) - 2.0 SRM

*1 lb - Chocolate Malt
Mash addition (4.4%) - 350.0 SRM

*1 lb - Oats, Flaked