Imperial Amber recipe change; what will it be like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
I have about 20 brews under my belt and I wanted to brew sthg strong but not too hoppy (IIPA), with the balance on the malty side but also not too malty (Old Ale) so I found this recipe for an Imperial Amber http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/495847/abc-brewing-henrik-imperial-amber

Interestingly Imperial Amber doesn't seem to be a category on its own and while the brewers have it under American Strong Ale in Beersmith it figures under IIPA.

I thought that this would suit my needs and that I would just make a few adjustments due to the grain I have at home but it turned out that I substituted almost every grain in this recipe :)

Here's my version for 10L/2.5Gallons (also attached a screen shot from beer smith).

2,8kg 2-row Pale (instead of Maris Otter)
0,23kg VIenna (instead of Munich; because I'm from Vienna and like it ;)
0,25kg Crystal 20 (instead of Caramalt)
0,4kg Crystal 60 (higher percentage because I had too little left to keep)
0g of Chocolate because I thought it was only for color and I'm fine on that

Yeast: English 04 (safale);
BIAB medium body

Hop schedule will be kept with the exception of no first wort hopping.

I'd appreciate your opinion on what this might turn out like and if there will be some resemblance to the original.
Is it a lot of Crystal???

Also, I don't have any yeast nutrient so my plan is just to rehydrate and pitch a whole packet of 04 English Safale and hope that it will get me through due to being 2x - 3x the required amount of yeast. Think that will work out???

Thanks!!!

ImperialAmberHenrik.png

Back