Imperial Amber IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy_Hops

Reaction score
Super stoked on this one! I have been wanting to try brewing something similar to Modern Times Blazing World IPA and now that they have stopped brewing it I figured it was the time! I made some tweaks, especially since I wanted to use my homegrown Nugget hops in the whirlpool, so here is what I’m going with:

Blazed Earth Imperial Amber IPA - Jimmy Hudson
Brewfather
I haven’t added what I will be dry hopping with yet but I’m definitely using Mosaic, Mosaic LUPOMAX, Columbus LUPOMAX, Simcoe, and Nelson. Looking for something malty, bitter, hoppy, and DANK!
56C1D646-0DB8-4805-A1BD-530C9A114F9A.jpeg70D0117B-F72A-4A39-9C0B-B28FE7B7FA7E.jpeg

Turned out amazing! I can definitely pick up the notes from the fresh Nugget hops! Only thing I would change is more Nelson in the dry hop. I get the meson notes before anything else but wish there was more! The bitterness and crispness are almost perfect! Great color too, just needs to clear up a bit and she should be tasting amazing in another week!

Attachments

• 1ABCF449-AD2E-481C-A56F-8A99525E98E2.jpeg
    1ABCF449-AD2E-481C-A56F-8A99525E98E2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 72E78392-6EC2-4D4E-AD28-12B25D3B502D.jpeg
    72E78392-6EC2-4D4E-AD28-12B25D3B502D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 1A6B3C7B-278D-441B-869B-8B922F3C6D6C.jpeg
    1A6B3C7B-278D-441B-869B-8B922F3C6D6C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Looks good.
I'm planning on brewing a dank Red/Amber IPA for the Holidays.

I know it's only 2 oz and won't make much difference but out of curiosity did you use normal or de-husked Carafa?
I might actually just use only roasted barley and see if I can get it in the red range.
Although your beer looks quite redish and the calculated color of 17 is in that range.
We only have the normal 500 L roasted barley available here so I'll have to reduce it a bit.

I don't have any fresh Nuggets so I was thinking of Comet as a sub as I have a 250g pack of those in the freezer.
I guess fresh means wet hops or did you dry them before?
I'm just trying to figure out how much would be the equivalent in T90 hops.
If they were wet the 1.5 to 2 oz of pellets would be about the same as 8 oz.

Thanks. :mug:

Last edited:
Hey! Yeah, Weyermann Carafa III is de-husked and I’d actually lower the roasted barley and the Carafa a bit to be honest. It’s a little to roasty but not by much. I think the Comet hops would be a great addition, and yes, the Nugget were wet hops so 2 ounces of Comet would be good. I did a dank IPA a couple of years ago with Columbus, Mosaic, Comet, and Summit and it was amazing! Let me know how it turns out 👌🏻

Seems like the Nelson would clash with the malts? I like the idea of using Nugget/Simcoe but how does the Nelson play with the malt bill? Could this be considered a Imperial Red IPA?Definitely sounds interesting.

Hey! Yeah, Weyermann Carafa III is de-husked and I’d actually lower the roasted barley and the Carafa a bit to be honest. It’s a little to roasty but not by much. I think the Comet hops would be a great addition, and yes, the Nugget were wet hops so 2 ounces of Comet would be good. I did a dank IPA a couple of years ago with Columbus, Mosaic, Comet, and Summit and it was amazing! Let me know how it turns out 👌🏻

I wanted to look at the grain bill again but unfortunately the Brewfather link doesn't work anymore.
I'm not sure how close I will stick to your bill; the pics look great and it will be an inspiration for my beer for sure.
As soon as I brew it up I'll let you know exactly what I decided on.🕵️‍♂️

I think there are two versions, carafa 3 and carafa 3 spezial of which only spezial is dehusked, if I remember correctly.

Seems like the Nelson would clash with the malts? I like the idea of using Nugget/Simcoe but how does the Nelson play with the malt bill? Could this be considered a Imperial Red IPA?Definitely sounds interesting.
Why do you think it would clash? Plays pretty well to me! Have you had Modern Times Blazing World before? Solid Amber IPA with what seems like mostly Nelson. They unfortunately stopped producing it last year which is why I wanted to brew something similar. Next time I’ll use a west coast IPA yeast to get it drier and crisper. Other than that, it’s a great beer 🍻

Back