Imperial A10 Darkness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Using Imperial A10 yeast for high gravity Barley Wines

• Total voters

wdames

Reaction score
I want to make a very high gravity Barley Wine was told that A10 could survive a 13 ABV plus beer by Imperial. However I still have doubts so I asking if anyone has had experience using this yeast at extreme gravities or maybe has a alternative

Can't say for the A10, but that's getting high for any kind of regular British ale yeast, it's unusual for barley wines to go over 12%. My usual recommendation for something like this would be WLP540 Abbey IV, which despite the name is actually a non-phenolic British yeast that's adapted to high-ABV beers, allegedly at Rochefort. Officially it's listed as going up to 10-15%. Wyeast 1762 is meant to share a similar origin.

Another option would be WLP099 Super High Gravity if you want to go dry - it contains a diastaticus strain so has very high attenuation, but that's probably not what you are looking for?

Comfort Zone recently linked to a presentation which may be useful.

Can't say for the A10, but that's getting high for any kind of regular British ale yeast, it's unusual for barley wines to go over 12%. My usual recommendation for something like this would be WLP540 Abbey IV, which despite the name is actually a non-phenolic British yeast that's adapted to high-ABV beers, allegedly at Rochefort. Officially it's listed as going up to 10-15%. Wyeast 1762 is meant to share a similar origin.

Another option would be WLP099 Super High Gravity if you want to go dry - it contains a diastaticus strain so has very high attenuation, but that's probably not what you are looking for?

Comfort Zone recently linked to a presentation which may be useful.

Speaking of dry (I know, not what you meant) what would be a good dry yeast for a 12% barley wine?

upload_2019-2-21_12-35-14.png

Speaking of dry (I know, not what you meant) what would be a good dry yeast for a 12% barley wine?

US-05. Ideal for a US Barleywine and fine for UK if you're using characterful malts.

I just used it on a 13% stout and it performed beautifully.

I've never personally done a dry yeast at that kind of ABV, but in general it seems to be the more boring dry yeasts work better at that kind of ABV - so probably Nottingham (which is meant to be good to 14%) or BRY-97 (good for 13%). But I might try and co-ferment with a bit of something like M15 or T-58 to try and make it a bit more interesting.

If you really wanted to ferment it dry, then the new Fermentis HA-18 is a mix of enzyme and wine yeast that will take you up to 18% ABV with 97% attenuation but I don't know anyone who has tried it. It claims to have high esters and fusels, so perhaps could be a bit more characterful than the likes of Notty and US-05 - but I'm not sure I'd want so much attenuation.

But WLP540 would be my first choice.

I want to make a very high gravity Barley Wine was told that A10 could survive a 13 ABV plus beer by Imperial. However I still have doubts so I asking if anyone has had experience using this yeast at extreme gravities or maybe has a alternative
I'm getting ready to try it for the first time in a RIS, but I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks. I plan on stepping it up a couple of times just to be sure.

I'm getting ready to try it for the first time in a RIS, but I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks. I plan on stepping it up a couple of times just to be sure.
A10 is my go-to for Imperial Stouts - Russian or otherwise. my last was a 14% Imp Stout that I pitched two packs of A10 (i.e. no starter) direct into 64F wort.

even though the temp run away to 74F during day 2, once it aged a bit it's by far the best stout I've brewed to date

A10 is my go-to for Imperial Stouts - Russian or otherwise. my last was a 14% Imp Stout that I pitched two packs of A10 (i.e. no starter) direct into 64F wort.

even though the temp run away to 74F during day 2, once it aged a bit it's by far the best stout I've brewed to date
Awesome--good to know. I'm shooting for about 12% so it's nice to know that won't be a problem.

Be sceptical of the provenance of all homebrew yeasts, but while the emphasis on high-alcohol makes me think of Courage RIS, the stats for A10 are suspiciously identical to Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (but slightly different to WLP004 Irish Ale.....)

Be sceptical of the provenance of all homebrew yeasts, but while the emphasis on high-alcohol makes me think of Courage RIS, the stats for A10 are suspiciously identical to Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (but slightly different to WLP004 Irish Ale.....)

Interestingly enough, I brewed the 1914 Courage RIS with A10 recently and have 4 pint yeast slurries and am thinking about doing a bitter this weekend with one of the pints.
This left me wondering what the A10 would do on a bitter.
Regardless I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Last edited:

I believe it is 1084 and I believe that is Guinness

Back