Impatiently waiting on bottling day..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Hi all, newb brewer from SE Georgia! Some pesky bug sneaked up on me and bit me , now I have this home-brewing fever! LOL

Put my very 1st ever batch into my LBK(Little Brown Keg- but am sure you all know that..lol) last Tuesday. It is the Grand Bohemian Czech Pils..Seemed simple enough; after I gathered a few supplies from wally world. Fermentation has been going splendidly as far as I can tell. Had a really good and active 'krausen' after about 12 hours, so much so that a tiny bit of the foam seeped out of one of the notches on the lid. Brief moment of panic but realized it shouldn't be a problem..I had mis-read somehow the instructions and thought 1 week in the fermenter was good, until coming here and re-reading the instructions for it to be 2 weeks..Oh well, so no bottling today..BUT, I did go ahead and pull a small(2oz or so) sample and gave it a taste test..Kind of a sweet, fruity taste. Not very bitter but did leave a kind of funky after taste..It doesn't taste great, but not horrible..So, hopefully(fingers crossed), next Tuesday it will have more of a beer taste(after evaluating the taste, it is more of a cider taste right now) and be ready for bottling..

So, since I have a 2nd LBK sitting here I decided I might as well start 'filling the pipeline' and got another batch rolling! :) This one is the German Weissbier..Did everything to the letter on the instructions except for the part when I added the wort into the keg..I read here that aeration is an important ingredient for good yeast performance. So, after pouring the wort into the LBK I transferred it back and forth between the keg and my boiling kettle like 4 times thinking 'if that don't aerate it nothing will'! I then proceeded to 'pitch' in the yeast and placed the keg in my closet to ferment.

Hopefully these turn out well as I am looking at brewing bigger batches in the future! Just received my 1st 5G kit and have a 2nd one on its way..I also have a 1G kit on the way for 'experimentation' brews..Yeah, that bug hit me hard!:mug:

I'm right there with you. I'm working to get a pipeline going too. I have a hefe that is ready and I am drinking (it's fantastic), a stout going into bottles tomorrow, and hopefully Friday I will be brewing a dunkel. Idk if I'll try and use both fermenting buckets of mine this time or not. I kind of want to do an oatmeal stout, too.

Congrats on making beer! If you'd like more Mr. Beer only type talk, you can go to the forum on the MrB site. It's a pretty good resource for just starting out with the LBK, but you'll be back here soon enough. FTR, I brew 2.5 gallon batches in the LBK, but I don't use the MrB ingredients any longer. Too expensive, and I have time on my hands a lot. Soon, my first all-grain batch!

Back