immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medixlux

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I got a immersion chiller as a gift but the problem is I have a 5 gallon enamel kettle without a spigot. What should I do? Buy a pump and where to connect it?
I found a magnetic pump but it handles only 90 degrees celcius hot wort.
I already know that I can't use a siphon because it will melt.
Or is it possible to add a spigot to the enamel kettle?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Christophe from Luxembourg

Just hook one end of your immersion chiller to a water source, and hook the other end to a drain hose. Run water through it, and immerse its cooled coils into your kettle. Wort does not go through the chiller, only water.

No need to put a spigot in your pot (at least no need for the purpose of cooling your wort). No need for a pump, water pressure from your water supply is all you need.

This might be the easiest solution: https://www.northernbrewer.com/30-stainless-rack-tube

If you want to make your own: All it is is a length of soft copper tubing long enough to span the diagonal of your kettle (bottom corner to opposite upper edge) plus enough to extend out past the edge and form a curve about 90 to 100 degrees or so on a 2 or 3 inch radius. Select the outside diameter to fit your flexible tubing. 5/16" and 1/2" are the common sizes used by home brewers. Take a piece of the tubing to the hardware store to test the fit before you buy. The bend need to be done carefully to avoid kinking the tube. Inexpensive tubing benders are available in the tool section of most hardware stores and auto part stores. These tools will ensure a kink-free bend.

The tan 24v pumps are safe up to boiling temperatures. You can prime the pump by filling the tubing with sanitizer (or water), and then drop the inlet end into your pot of boiling wort. Turn it on and pump through the <edit> counter flow chiller back into the kettle for 10 minutes at the end of your boil to make sure everything is sanitized, then you can turn on the chilling water.

I did a review on Amazon that included a link to the pump I was using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/R2MPEQ7362/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back