Immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glue

Reaction score
Hi, about to buy the copper piping for an Immersion chiller, ive been reading different howto's some say 25ft (7.62m) to 50ft(15.24m) then i was reading for a 6gal(23lt) batch is a 16ft(5m) immersion chiller offers the maximum efficiency

what length is the best to make?

If you really like brewing and are going to do it for a while dont do an immersion chiller! I mean you can and its fine but read about counter flow chillers. Obviously the 25 will be better than nothing and the 50 better than 25. If you really wanna step it up consider spending the extra 30 bucks or so and build a CFC. I built an immersion chiller and wish i just would have done this and gone the extra 1/2 mile https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/counterflow-wort-chiller-build-use-182236/ the first time!

Yah I was going to build an CFC but after reading bout whirlpool immersion chiller i was thinking of going that way, but first starting off with a immersion then upgrading to whirlpool later on with a pump and a little more copper piping

If i went with a CFC i'd still need to use a pump correct? or would gravity be okay?

I made a 50' immersion chiller, 1/2" OD. Works like a charm. Gives me enough time to have a smoke and put my feet up for a few minutes, then back at 'er.

savannahbrew said:
If you really like brewing and are going to do it for a while dont do an immersion chiller! I mean you can and its fine but read about counter flow chillers. Obviously the 25 will be better than nothing and the 50 better than 25. If you really wanna step it up consider spending the extra 30 bucks or so and build a CFC. I built an immersion chiller and wish i just would have done this and gone the extra 1/2 mile https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/counterflow-wort-chiller-build-use-182236/ the first time!
Are counter flow chillers a pain to keep clean. I have a 50 ft immersion chiller and can chill my 6 gal batches to 62 deg in 20 min. Easy cleaning also. I think I've read counter flows can chill in 2-3 min. But if your spending the extra time to clean it is that much more efficient. I'm asking because I was looking to upgrade to counter flow. But I don't like cleaning equipment. I would spend the extra 15 mins kickin back with an immersion chiller if that's the case.

When I was doing 5 gallon batches I used a 25'x3/8" and I could cool 5ish gallons in 20 mins, now I do 10 gallon batches and I made a 50'x1/2" IC from coppertubbingsales.com and can cool 10 gallons in 25 mins and going to use the small one as a Pre chiller now. Cleaning is easy a dip in Starsan first then add to boil at like 10 and rinse off with hot water when I'm done and no worries that something is growing inside cause I didn't clean it enough.

Are counter flow chillers a pain to keep clean. I have a 50 ft immersion chiller and can chill my 6 gal batches to 62 deg in 20 min. Easy cleaning also. I think I've read counter flows can chill in 2-3 min. But if your spending the extra time to clean it is that much more efficient. I'm asking because I was looking to upgrade to counter flow. But I don't like cleaning equipment. I would spend the extra 15 mins kickin back with an immersion chiller if that's the case.

You need to be stirring with an IC or it chills extremely slow.

Back