Immersion Chiller Hook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewdyQuah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stainless steel immersion chiller that I really like using, however it sits on my element at the bottom of my kettle. I know some people seem fine with this, but I can't help but think this stress is not good on the element.

I'm thinking about building a 'hook' of sorts that I can permanently attach to my IC and use it to hook on the upper lip of my kettle, effectively keeping my IC off of my element.

I'm familiar with the 'hangover' from Exchilerator, which is a similar concept. I just don't to buy a whole new chiller.

Before I go down this route, I'd appreciate any input (or if anyone has already found a solution, I'd love to hear about it). Thanks!

I'd go with adding a hook of some sort to the tubing risers. I'd peruse the stainless steel eye bolts and S-hook section of a hardware store, find something that can be SS worm-clamped to the risers...

Cheers!

SS U-bolt, saw something like it recommended here.
20220517_171609.jpg

I'd put a second worm-clamp higher up to keep the load from pivoting.
Seems reasonable and may have even been recommended that way originally. I have a keggle and I situated the clamp to catch under the lip (cutout edge). I probably should have mentioned that as the u-bolt is wider to span the keg chimes (tubular rim, I just learned this one) and the lip. It tilts some (?) but the IC is off the element and doesn't interfere with whirlpooling too much in my opinion. I've been using a plate chiller though for ~2+ years and only infrequently would use the IC to do initial whirlpool temperature drops then remove. I even stopped doing that this year and repositioned my plate chiller to use it for the whirlpool temperature drop. I prefer an IC for cleanliness but I have an inline oxygen setup which tips me towards using the plate chiller.

I think the nuts nestled in the crotch between the two riser tubes keeps it from rotating once the worm clamp is tightened...

Cheers!

Back