Immersion Chiller 5 min cool time!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
hi guys,

I've made this immersion chiller

With 30 feet of 1/2" copper

I chilled my 5 gal. worth in 5 min, the water temp. was 10 C.

It costed, in canada, 85 $.

20140305_150900.jpg

20140305_150922.jpg

20140305_150947.jpg

lol, its 77 us dollar and 50 f!

Thank you for converting :)
So your tap water is 77F and cooled that quickly? Surprising.
That's a great price to build a chiller like that, congrats.
Looks like the piping is a thicker gauge and has a large contact area with the wort, very nice!

Thank you for converting :)
So your tap water is 77F and cooled that quickly? Surprising.
That's a great price to build a chiller like that, congrats.
Looks like the piping is a thicker gauge and has a large contact area with the wort, very nice!

thanks,but its 50 degres and 77 $ !

I'm an ignorant American, sorry.

Something tells me there is a backstory to this response. ;)

OP: 10C is cold. At that temp though I am surprised to hear of a 5 minute cool if you're talking about a full 5 gallons of wort. I did it in about 21 minutes and water was 42F. Though your chiller may just be better built.

Mine chills in about 30 minutes and my tap water is mid-fifites. What temperature are you chilling it to? After 5 minutes I'm only down in the low 100's.

Something tells me there is a backstory to this response. ;)

OP: 10C is cold. At that temp though I am surprised to hear of a 5 minute cool if you're talking about a full 5 gallons of wort. I did it in about 21 minutes and water was 42F. Though your chiller may just be better built.

yeah i was suprised too,did your chiller is made in 1/2 inch pipe?theres a big difference in contact surface between the 3/8 and 1/2 inch pipe.

I have a 50' 5/8 whirlpool chiller and I can hit 6 min to chill a 5 gallon batch but that's using slush water and a sump pump, pretty sure the OPs numbers a stretched a little. although guess it is never stated what it is chilled to. I chill to 60 - 65f

Another factor is HOW you chill. If you gently stir the wort and move the chiller around (in and out) rather than letting it just sit there, you can drastically reduce chilling time. Maybe you are doing this, maybe not, I don't know.

I have a 50' - 3/8" chiller and with using a wine degasser to stir and lifting the chiller up and down I can chill 5 gallons of wort pretty quickly to 70F. I can get it down in about 10-15min tops. To start I go very easy to not introduce a lot of oxygen while the wort is hot. As it cools I speed up and get aggressive with the stirring.

If I just let the chiller sit in the hot wort with no movement, it can take well over 30-45 minutes.

Another factor is HOW you chill. If you gently stir the wort and move the chiller around (in and out) rather than letting it just sit there, you can drastically reduce chilling time. Maybe you are doing this, maybe not, I don't know.

I have a 50' - 3/8" chiller and with using a wine degasser to stir and lifting the chiller up and down I can chill 5 gallons of wort pretty quickly to 70F. I can get it down in about 10-15min tops. To start I go very easy to not introduce a lot of oxygen while the wort is hot. As it cools I speed up and get aggressive with the stirring.

If I just let the chiller sit in the hot wort with no movement, it can take well over 30-45 minutes.

yeah i stir it.

I have a 3/8 50' copper chiller I made in my workshop, I also stir the wort with the chiller and the water coming out of the discharge hose is piping hot, when it cools down a little I stir some more.

I've never kept track but I'm fairly certain it's around 8 minutes or so to cool 5 gallons of boiling wort to 75-80 degrees. This is ofc using water from our hose bib in winter... that might play a factor but stirring is the obvious accelerator.

Ohh, and the 50' of copper cost me around $45, the fitting I used for the hose bib (well, 2 fittings to compensate for the size) cost around $8. All in the project cost around $50-$55, not too bad

Back