Immaculate Conception IPA????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kejsport

Reaction score
I think I have Jesus beer here... I didn't have a wort cooler so I let the wort sit an extra day in a sealed corboy to get to about 75 degress. I woke up this morning and it is fermenting on its own... IS THIS NORMAL? Or should I rename the corboy "Mary", and the IPA to "Jesus IPA Ale"? Where did the yeast come from?

Also, I had bought frozen wet yeast and put it in the fridge. It now has defrosted. What should I do with it? Dump it in regardless? Put it in the freezer? eat it? help

The only reason the brew would have started fermenting on its own would be if it had become infected with a wild yeast or bacteria but i doubt that has happened. How do you know it is fermenting? Airlock activity or just bubbles on the top? If future you should immerse your pot in icy water to get it down to pitching temp faster.

Liquid yeast usually requires you to make a starter a few days before pitching, especially if it has been frozen as it may take them a while to wake up.

I have made 3 beer batches in the past. It is fermenting for sure. lots of activity. So should i add the yeast, or can i refreeze it?

I'm going with "infection". How does the airlock smell? Do you see swirling in the carboy? The chances of the bug being one that will result in a good brew is pretty slim in my opinion. The reason most people don't wait until the next day to pitch their yeast is for this very reason.

Likely a wild yeast or bacteria.

If you have a krausen (indicating yeast) and have the room to spare, let her ferment away - the beer may be a tosser or may be the best you'll ever make...

well that is why I wanted to name the corboy Mary... it is producing the Jesus beer, but it sounds like it may end up as Rosemary's baby...

The smell is good actually, really good, nothing unsual, so I am going to ride this one out... could be a disaster, but I am going to let Mary work...

Again, what should I do with the yeast I bought? It is still in my fridge waiting to ferment something... Can i put it in the freezer? How long can it last in the fridge?

well that is why I wanted to name the corboy Mary... it is producing the Jesus beer, but it sounds like it may end up as Rosemary's baby...
Ah, but then you would have to name the carboy after Mary's mother, and there is no mention of Mary's mother's name in the Bible, just that she is a direct descendant of David. Mary is the one who was immaculately conceived, meaning born without sin, not Jesus. :)

Anywho, I'm with those who say let it ride if started fermenting. Could be some funky fun beer there.

Again, what should I do with the yeast I bought? It is still in my fridge waiting to ferment something... Can i put it in the freezer? How long can it last in the fridge?

What brand of yeast? White labs does not recommend freezing their vials. I would leave it in the fridge. Depending on how old the yeast already is, it can last several months in the fridge. Though you will need to make an appropriate sized starter when you use it.

Do you have pics of this, it would help us determin weather or not it is a wild yeast infection!

Just an idea, but could it be that your carboy wasn't completely clean from your last batch and started fermentation via some old yeast left behind?

Ah, but then you would have to name the carboy after Mary's mother, and there is no mention of Mary's mother's name in the Bible, just that she is a direct descendant of David. Mary is the one who was immaculately conceived, meaning born without sin, not Jesus. :)

Anywho, I'm with those who say let it ride if started fermenting. Could be some funky fun beer there.

What? Immaculate Conception is the conception of Jesus. This conception, the merging of two gametes to form a zygote, was achieved without sin. Hence, Jesus was born without original sin.

What? Immaculate Conception is the conception of Jesus. This conception, the merging of two gametes to form a zygote, was achieved without sin. Hence, Jesus was born without original sin.

Actually, that is a misconception.

(pause to let the pun set it)

If you read the bible, Shecky is right. The birth of Jesus wasn't the immaculate conception, it was the birth of Jesus's mother, Mary. That was why she was the one to give birth to the son of god.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_conception

Back on topic....

If you let this ferment out as it is and it turns out good, you should harvest the yeast. You could have your own house strain that no other brewer in the world has.

A couple of things:
The immaculate conception is a doctrine of the Romans Catholic Church in regards to Mary, Jesus’ mother…..The problem with the doctrine of the immaculate conception is that it is not taught in the Bible. The Bible nowhere describes Mary as anything but an ordinary human female whom God chose to be the mother of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Here's the site:
What is the immaculate conception?

Finally, why not name it Immaculate Reception IPA? Like Franco Harris, a gift out of nowhere and he scores!
P.S. Just because it says this on the question site doesn't make it true. Shecky/ChshreCat can you tell me where it talks about I.C. in the bible? Thanks - Dwain

A couple of things:

Here's the site:
What is the immaculate conception?

Finally, why not name it Immaculate Reception IPA? Like Franco Harris, a gift out of nowhere and he scores!
P.S. Just because it says this on the question site doesn't make it true. Shecky/ChshreCat can you tell me where it talks about I.C. in the bible? Thanks - Dwain

*shrug* I'll leave it to Shecky. It's been years since I read the bible and I don't even own one now. I'm an athiest, after all. :D Maybe it's not in the bible and is just doctrine added later. But that's the definition of the term "immaculate conception", either way.

Could call it Virgin Birth IPA if you want to be technical.

Just an idea, but could it be that your carboy wasn't completely clean from your last batch and started fermentation via some old yeast left behind?
That's what I was leaning toward...

According to tradition, Mary's parents' names are Anne and Joachim :)

I will try to post a pic tonight. I figure since I already have an overflow bucket going. I am going to start a new batch tonight too. Thanks for all the help. I didn't mean to start a debate on Christianity, but then again, that is usually a the main topic of discussion when I drink beer to begin with.

This is what I'm leaning towards as well. Vikings used to have a family brew paddle that they HAD to use to stir their beer. They didn't know it then, but the family's yeast culture had been stored on that paddle and passed from generation to generation.

Have you taken a hydrometer test to see if it is indeed fermenting? Perhaps oxygen is just coming out of suspension.

You must have had a DIRTY bucket/kitchen or something strange happened. I've left samples out uncovered for days to seei if I could pick up any wild yeast. One wort never took. Another one took about a week and smelled like barf once it started. Maybe I just have a clean kitchen.

A technical question that almost made it to the debate forum.

I have no complaints, I'm clicking on links about Immaculate Conception right now.

Did you drink a bit too much while brewing and forget that you pitched yeast!? lol

It's just a good thing that the spare packet of Notty wasn't thrown in "just in case". I completely missed the hops addition when I was helping a friend brew. I was too busy drinking his beer and talking. Ooops.

He got me back though.

I cleaned everything as I went, but hey maybe I missed it. It could have easily been in a hose. However, it is definitely fermenting, and again smells really really good. I love the color and everything. I will post a pic tonight. I think it is going to turn out fine... and this will just be a "miracle" IPA.

The only downside is if it's "wild yeast", the pitching rate is very low and you should expect similar side effects to underpitching.

If it turns up well, be sure to culture the presumably wild yeast. Look up yeast washing...

Mary's mom was Ann and her dad was Joaquim. :)

i almost cant believe this post and i almost forgot that i went to catholic grade school for 8 years... thanks for reminding me, all i wanted to do was read about some beer... where is the picture? this cant possibly turn out to be good beer, can it? he did say he forgot to pitch, right?

I can't believe you guys are concerned about the frozen yeast, but then everyone is all worked up over who is and isn't doing the secks.

Back