(images) Question about this temp control setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a years worth of brewing under my belt and I'm ready to attempt a more streamline temp control setup. Up until now I've been doing the swamp cooler.

Could someone take a look at my drawing and give me a few suggestions? Please don't cut me up too much, I am no artist. Also, I've never done anything like this before, so I may have something completely wrong.

How it works:

A stainless steel immersion coil in the fermenter attached to the lid. Both ends of the coil are attached to 2 lines whose ends are in an electric cooler of some sort. I have a pump hooked to the IN-line and to a Inkbird temp regulator. There is a thermowell installed on the lid. The regulator has a temp probe that fits down into the thermowell.

The idea is to set the temp on the regulator and have it toggle power ON/OFF to the pump.

I live in California, so a heating element isn't needed for the styles I'm brewing.

Any thoughts? I looked for videos or even pictures and came up dry. Perhaps I'm using the wrong search string.

ferm.png

reg.jpg

I could see how this could work. I wouldn't really want that coil in my wort. I'd be scared of some kind of infection. That's just me, I'm a lil OCD when it comes to sanitization. Have you thought of using this setup to chill a swamp cooler bath? I think James Spencer of Basic brewing has plans for a system called low tech lagering. Someone sells a device that does exactly what your setup would do but it's pricey. I built my own version of the son of fermentation chamber and easily ferment in the low 50's in my house.

Have you thought of using this setup to chill a swamp cooler bath?

You mention you already have a swamp cooler, you could easily use the same design just plumb it into the swamp cooler instead of the immersion chiller. Pump into the top of the swamp and back out near the bottom to keep it mixed a bit.

That is what I have been doing for years.....temperature controlled swamp cooler. Works really well!!

Been using this sort of setup for quite some time. Works fine.

Nice!! Is it essentially the same as the pic I drew? Is it a coil? If I were to do that - my problem is that my fermenter is a conical on legs. How would you suggest I submerge this in a swamp cooler?

Thanks!

7g-fermenter-300-cf7-800-03.jpg

Your drawing is exactly how I have my FTSS set up with my Chronical (except the pump is submerged in the ice water in the cooler.) Works great!

suk5DqH-3KFoKlf5tOMa07OJecBsIquBddJnJs0owR0j5qLzUgEsqKGcUQ8KrFqSQI89eyO-yjXHNLuLhNDyADHrTGdvoSGiEJiI2ioUiXHbtj70utFGwKoEyq1ZgCzA3iynYw59HjijCSQP_x9cU3Jlcn1S8SsX8Z4LxTusogY5YaF1A19uUwIL9x6BaCZ9GLiXQF9624gxBJjOHfUF45979ZnhCNsRGG7wLoMF66tNVA2_Nr2e4TrNc48cGBonm9Pc9yskF-VStCJjYx2F6dpnRF4B8egmMuBVKZkx3iu5XkFkQ_OUiHR_IKM78H-DTUp--lyCBIpvncqfUQsUwMfjfD-neMcO_yck65P6A5Ahji3Rhvimb0oHxZiQ0BaM2SA-Z26IIyTDBu3NcAe1EEHeIcJPKn3ylxyAVKY60SuWSZwbnJrzdSNR_h259exvgQqQK_xriSBNi45Wmum7shciBK6CDE95rtAWD0D79HlHxsUjiMWzkAolQRGYecjoBuK7yKk5vuId88KNPCJN7Q0Ho_W4nVGyDk-Tpu-tj2XhBPQUfXud-TXS0ll79DdGXTCr=w1118-h1490-no

Wow! That picture looks like it was pulled right from my mind. I really appreciate the response! I have yet to buy the pump. I'll look into submersible pumps. What kind do you have?

Wow! That picture looks like it was pulled right from my mind. I really appreciate the response! I have yet to buy the pump. I'll look into submersible pumps. What kind do you have?

The one I'm using came with the FTSS that SS BrewTech sells for their Chronical. It's a pretty basic looking pump. I'm sure that any small aquarium pump should do the job....if you go to www.ssbrewtech.com, you should be able to find pics of the pump listed with the FTSS.

Rich

I also have a very similar setup. Biggest differance is I use an AC unit to cool the water/propylene glycol bath. I don't have to add ice or replace cold water and can cold crash down to 33 F no problem. There are several others that have almost identical setups or slight variations.

View attachment 1460114574597.jpg

Back