I'm trying my hand at a single malt oak aged IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this before? I'm thinking about soaking my Brewcraft Oak EnoCubes in whiskey for like three days. Then oak age the IPA in the secondary. Any suggestions on how much oak I should use and for how long in the secondary?

I did an all Vienna pale ale, but steeped and dry hopped it like it was an IPA. I also added medium toast French oak chips, no whiskey. I can't remember the exact quantities. I added maybe an ounce of oak chips post fermentation and left them in there during dry hopping and until it was time to bottle. Then I steeped another ounce of oak chips with my priming solution, strained it and poured it into the batch right before bottling. This was for 6-1/2 gallon batch. It worked well and the oak was right where I like it. I've also done a whiskey barrel oak aged doppelbock. The bourbon flavor was a bit much, but that time I used nearly 4 ounces of whiskey barrel oak chips.

Latest posts

Back