Im suddenly very confused...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
I set out to start jotting down ideas for recipes when I remember my last batch i made...I remember starting to measure my hops on a scale and realized that the amount I bought didnt even near add up to the amount my LHBS store wrote down on the packets. I then realized that he wasameauring them in 'volume ounces'. Am I being stupid? I dont know...Are hops measured in weight oz or volume oz...like with a measuring cup... :confused: :confused:

Perhaps my scale is faulty...not sure why Im having this problem...my LHBS guys packets of hops dont come out to what he writes down...i think its my scale...nevemind

How much are you off by? If its a matter of .1 oz or something, then perhaps its your scale or you LHBS' scale. If you're off by .5 oz, then it may be time to buy a new scale :D

lol, good thing this is the newbies forum..I realized that the numbers on the hops packerts being sold to me werent the hops weight...it was the AAU... :eek: I feel really stupid...so that means that for my last ale, instead of using 3 oz of cascade for bittering and flavor (20z for 60) (1 oz for 30) i used 1 oz for bittering and .5 oz for flavor and then .5 oz for finishing of willamette...sounds like i ruined my brew...maybe it will still be good...not that pale ale-y tho most likely :( I learned my lesson.

No way you ruined your brew. It just may taste a little sweeter than the recipe intended. There is no doubt in my mind you will have made a good beer. Hell, it just means that you will have to brew that recipe again with the intended hop additions so you can compare the two. That will help you realize the impact that hops have at various times of the boil. Think of it as a learning experience :D ... and just how many learning experiences include drinking beer :cool:

vtfan99--Talk about the glass being half full! I like your optimism.

Somerville--You're going to be okay. If you still have it in secondary it's not too late to add a little hoppy goodness. Just drop about an oz of Cascade to the secondary and you'll be golden.

Haha thanks, but there goes my impatientness...I only put it in the secondary for a week...its in the bottles now...perhaps (for a good learning exp. ;) ) I will re-make it...up the hop amounts AND leave it in the secondary for the second week. Thanks for the ideas

Back