Im soo freaking pissed!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Just got done with my mash for a heff, my ******* went to my LHBS that never seems to crush the grains good enough.. Well I ask him if he could crush them a little more to which he responds well its set right... Then starts being a smart ass about it.. Well I should be at about 1.045 right now and Im sitting right at 1.03!!!!!! not even sure if its worth my damn time.. I love how I can get 80% efficiency with Austin home brew but with this jack ass I cant even make beer. This is one of my last chances to brew before school kicks back off. So should I dump it? Boil it down to about 3 gallons? Or just say screw it and have a 3 percent beer? \

Rant off

How about adding some honey or molasses to get another percent or so?

rdwj said:

I wish I could but I dont have any, I have some corn sugar.

Could go get some DME. Be sure to mention at the LHBS that you are getting it because your efficiency sucked. Be sure to tell them you get 80% with rain from others.

Beerrific said:
Could go get some DME. Be sure to mention at the LHBS that you are getting it because your efficiency sucked. Be sure to tell them you get 80% with rain from others.

Its about 20 min away, and im not gonna give those ass hats another dime!!! Part that pisses me off the most is I just took the time to do a decocation mash.

Yeah, go for 3 or so gallons. Think of this as a really complicated starter for the kick ass dunkelweissen that you are going to make in a week (or as soon as you can get the grain from AHS!).

BTW, did he change the setting for the wheat? I have never crushed grain but I hear you need to do this.

Beerrific said:
Yeah, go for 3 or so gallons. Think of this as a really complicated starter for the kick ass dunkelweissen that you are going to make in a week (or as soon as you can get the grain from AHS!).

BTW, did he change the setting for the wheat? I have never crushed grain but I hear you need to do this.

Nope said it was set right, and he had no problems with it. I wish I could think of it like that, but with school, work and Rugby starting up I will not have time to brew for a while, that was the main reason I did not order my grains.

So with that said DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE WINEMAKERS SHOP IN FORT WORTH!!!!!!!!!!

Add some honey in the primary. Dilute it a bit, pasteurize it and dump it in. Honey wheat, such a treat, can't be beat, smells like feet, or rotting meat.

Did I mention I am not a wheat beer fan?!

Brewpastor said:
Add some honey in the primary. Dilute it a bit, pasteurize it and dump it in. Honey wheat, such a treat, can't be beat, smells like feet, or rotting meat.

Did I mention I am not a wheat beer fan?!

LOL, How much should I add a pound or more?

I would say a pound will do nicely. Don't go too overboard as it will tend to reduce mouthfeel. I've done three honey wheats in the past 3 months so I've kinda got an idea about how they go....

Damn Squirrels said:
I would say a pound will do nicely. Don't go too overboard as it will tend to reduce mouthfeel. I've done three honey wheats in the past 3 months so I've kinda got an idea about how they go....

Cool thanks for the input guys. Maybe it will turn out good. :eek:

went ahead and just drove to store while it was boiling away, and throw a pound in. Just started my hop schedule.

I have a batch of Honey Wheat in the secondary right now. I used a pound of honey from Homebrew HQ in Richardson. I've never been out to the wine store before.

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
I'd mail them a dried one with a note telling them to run THAT through their mill.

Nice Ideas, don't encourage me. :D I really wish I had the money for a mill right now, but not gonna happen not for a while at least. I have thought of getting a corona mill, Which I might go ahead and do. Oh and I ended up with a OG of 1.042 Probably a little higher due to temp. I think it should be alright.

rdwj said:

rdwj suggests adding honey and you don't have any; Brewpastor suggests honey after rdwj already suggested it and you go running. What gives? :confused:

I'd suggest letting the owner know that his employees are not meeting your expectations. Let him know what happened. If nothing else I'm sure he'd like to know that some asshat just lost him business.

landhoney said:
rdwj suggests adding honey and you don't have any; Brewpastor suggests honey after rdwj already suggested it and you go running. What gives? :confused:

Because I was in the middle of trying to get a boil going and did not have any at the house. So after the boil got going I said screw it and left my boiling wort in my drive way hoping it would not boil over. :confused: Not really sure what your point is.

Ryanh1801 said:
Nice Ideas, don't encourage me. :D I really wish I had the money for a mill right now, but not gonna happen not for a while at least. I have thought of getting a corona mill, Which I might go ahead and do. Oh and I ended up with a OG of 1.042 Probably a little higher due to temp. I think it should be alright.

So you ended up only 3 points off? So everything was ok? Just wanted to make sure.

Forrest

dantodd said:
I'd suggest letting the owner know that his employees are not meeting your expectations. Let him know what happened. If nothing else I'm sure he'd like to know that some asshat just lost him business.

Problem is, its the owners kid running the place. I think I have finally figured out why no one is ever there. I have thought about Emailing them, but im sure he would just get it and honesty I have no desire to give them any more of my money.

Austinhomebrew said:
So you ended up only 3 points off? So everything was ok? Just wanted to make sure.

Forrest

No should have been at 1.052. I will be making an order with yall in a few weeks. Wish yall where Fort Worth homebrew.:D

It looked promising.
8404-DSCF0359.JPG

Ryanh1801 said:
Because I was in the middle of trying to get a boil going and did not have any at the house. So after the boil got going I said screw it and left my boiling wort in my drive way hoping it would not boil over. :confused: Not really sure what your point is.

Who says I have to have a point? ;) I just noticed that brewpastor suggested the same thing rdwj did earlier in the post. It seemed like once BP suggested it you decided to get the honey, that's all. Just jokin around about the influence BP wields around here - one day I'll learn to stop trying to be funny. :eek:

Dude, get a corona mill. It's cheap, kind of a pain in the arse, but you can run the grain through again if it doesn't look crushed right. I had bad efficiency due to a bad crush from northernbrewer and realized it was time to take things into my own hands.

Also you can start buying grain in bulk and actuallysaving as much as you spent on the mill.

seefresh said:
Dude, get a corona mill. It's cheap, kind of a pain in the arse, but you can run the grain through again if it doesn't look crushed right. I had bad efficiency due to a bad crush from northernbrewer and realized it was time to take things into my own hands.

Also you can start buying grain in bulk and actuallysaving as much as you spent on the mill.
well said... well said my friend you hit the nail on the head
JJ

You could be not so freaking pissed for 19$. Ebay. Corona Mill. If you've gotten a bad crush from these guys before and you went there again...

Ryanh1801 said:
Problem is, its the owners kid running the place. I think I have finally figured out why no one is ever there.
I went there a couple weeks back to submit some bottles for a compitition and the kid was there. I asked him before I left if he had everything (paperwork, lables, etc) and he said yea, got it all! Well I find out later that he didnt have a clue so I had to drive back there in rush hour to get it all straight. Idiot!! He should be flipping burgers at McD's! :mad:

OFF TOPIC :off:

I have one of those Kitchenaide mixers, would this work for crushing grains...Grain Mill | Stand Mixer Attachment

"This all-metal attachment grinds wheat, oats, corn, rice, and other low-moisture, low-oil grains. Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency. Includes a cleaning brush."

kgma-largeview.jpg

Cregar said:
OFF TOPIC :off:

I have one of those Kitchenaide mixers, would this work for crushing grains...Grain Mill | Stand Mixer Attachment

"This all-metal attachment grinds wheat, oats, corn, rice, and other low-moisture, low-oil grains. Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency. Includes a cleaning brush."

What's the capacity on that MF'er? Seems like a lot of money to spend when you could get a barley crusher with the upgraded large-capacity hopper for less. Or did you already have it for something else?

EDIT: sorry, re-read your post...you're asking IF it would work. I guess so, in a pinch, but the hopper capacity looks pretty tiny. You'd also have to experiment with the consistency, to find out which setting gives you the best efficiency.

Sorry about all the problems you two guys seem to have with The Winemaker Shop. We try to provide the best service possible to all our customers. I recieved a heads up on your complains from another HBS and it is my responsibility to let you know if you have a problem please e-mail us directly. We can't correct the problem if we don't know that there is one.

I am not sure what to say about your grain problem. We have a commerical mill and the settings are checked regularly. We have not had any one else that has complained of this problem. Chris was trying to keep you from turning the grain in to a powder which would have resulted in running it through the mill repeatedly.
I am sorry again that you are upset and that we have lost your business. I am sure that AHB will be able to help you with your future brewing needs.

LHBS act as drop off points for many competitions as a service to the homebrewing community so brewer's do not have to spend time or money shipping their entries in. LHBS's are not affiliated with the competition most don't know if your paper work has been filled out correctly or not. If you are unsure you need to check with the club hosting the competition. I am sure some one in KOBB could of helped you with your paperwork so you would of only needed to make one trip.

For a visual this is the last crush I got from yall. Sorry its a bit blurry couldn't get my camera to focus, a good 1/3 of the grain is still intact, I had to take a roller to try and crush it more.
DSCF0299.jpg

Here is what IMO a crush should look like and the type that gets a good efficiency.

DSC02431.jpg

Ryanh1801 said:
...sitting right at 1.03!!!!!! not even sure if its worth my damn time...

I'm all for aiming for a high efficiency, but it's definitely worth your time. I've had some brews that have gotten crappy efficiency for one reason or another, but they've all turned out great.

Don't let it get you down, I'm sure it'll be fine.

But then again, get a grain mill. Best brewing purchase I ever made :ban:

edit: Just saw your pic in the above thread. That's a $$$$ty crush, so I understand your frustration. If the guy's reaction is "well, the mill is set right..." he must not know what he's talking about, or doesn't care. Personally, I'd never go there again....but then again I'm in NJ so I don't really have any brew shops to begin with ;)

Get a crankenstein or barley crusher!
4083-DCP_0868.JPG

From what I can tell in those pictures, it does look like a bad crush.

Wish I could see it a little better though to be sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back