I'm on step 1, where do I store it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldrik

Reaction score
I'm not really sure where on the forums I should post this, so I took the safe route and came to general discussion.
I just started my very first (ever) batch of mead (wish me luck). I've got the yeast and everything doing it's thing but does it need to be in direct light or can I put it in a darker spot? Or does it need sunlight?

HOW MUCH GARDENING DO I NEED TO KNOW FOR THIS!? (Joking of course but still)

There’s a mead forum, not sure how much traffic it gets though.

Link

Hopefully someone comes along that can help you more..

I'm not really sure where on the forums I should post this, so I took the safe route and came to general discussion.
I just started my very first (ever) batch of mead (wish me luck). I've got the yeast and everything doing it's thing but does it need to be in direct light or can I put it in a darker spot? Or does it need sunlight?

HOW MUCH GARDENING DO I NEED TO KNOW FOR THIS!? (Joking of course but still)
Dark and mid-60's F temp, depending on what yeast you used.

Dark and mid-60's F temp, depending on what yeast you used.
Well hitting mid 60s is an issue for me but I'm ranging low 70s and alright...I also saw something about stirring or shaking it up periodically? this first batch will most likely be terrible tbh

Well hitting mid 60s is an issue for me but I'm ranging low 70s and alright...I also saw something about stirring or shaking it up periodically? this first batch will most likely be terrible tbh
Put your fermenter into a tub of water. Keep the water cool by adding frozen bottles of water. Alternatively, wrap the fermenter top with an old tshirt when you set it into the tub of water and let it wick water up for evaporative cooling.

Put your fermenter into a tub of water. Keep the water cool by adding frozen bottles of water. Alternatively, wrap the fermenter top with an old tshirt when you set it into the tub of water and let it wick water up for evaporative cooling.
well the wife brought home 3 more of these beer kits (i guess they were going for like .50c so I have 4 now) I will remember this for the next batch haha

Check the mead forum, but you should degas (shake or stir) during the first few days of active fermentation to reduce CO2; stop after fermentation slows. Fermentation will provide more CO2 that will prevent oxidation. Mead isn't a s subject to oxidation as beer.

Be careful how vigorously you degas or you may experience a mead volcano as the CO2 rushes out of the mead.

Hows the mead coming along Aldrik? What was the OG

Honesty: I still have no idea what the OG was (as I still haven't had it in the budget for a gravity thingy yet) but the mead turned out GREAT! I did have to back sweeten it (1 cup of extra honey to bring the flavor out and 1 cup of sugar to actually sweeten it)
I could drink this on a regular basis, it's delicious! I appreciate all the help I got on this one and will definitely be making more of it! :D

Back