I'm OK with drinking BMC... Are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
That's right. I'll drink a BMC every now and then and I find it to be perfectly acceptable. Do I think it's great beer? No. Do I like it? Sometimes.

Here's how I see it... There are a couple items on the menu at Taco Bell that I kinda like. Now, when I'm in the mood for mexican food do I think of those items? No. Sometimes though I really want some Taco Bell.

Same thing with BMC. 95% of the time I would much prefer to stay away. But there is that 5%... Is it when I'm in the mood for good beer? No. Sometimes though one or six bottles of BMC sounds good.

So there... :D

I agree. BMC is great for getting a buzz going...on the beach, while golfing, at a BBQ, etc.

Now would I want to drink it while eating a steak? Probably not. But for general consumption its great.

Typically won't buy it, but I'll drink it if offered. Most friends/family who haven't moved on to something a bit better (Sam Adams is the norm, at least) drink Miller Lite so that's usually it. I will buy some PBR every once in a while.

Every once in a miller lite, I'll drink a Blue Moon.

i-see-what-you-did-there-demotivational-poster-1235491617.jpg

I drank a couple Labatt Blues last night at a neighbors Independence Day party. Nothing like celebrating a great American holiday with a sh itty Canadian beer.

PBR isn't necessarily a BMC. I will drink them sometimes, never really the light styles because I don't like them. I enjoy miller highlife, and the king of beers sometimes though.

What about their "craft" offerings? Some are pretty good, and seem to be on par with a lot of sam adams beers to me. I try to stick to other companies for craft brew though, just because I like supporting the little guy

Have to admit that when you're floating in the middle of a lake on 4th of July weekend a cold Coors Light can really fit the bill.

As Papazian said "much of the time my favorite beer is the one that's in my hand" or something like that

and by "light styles" I mean the diet ones.

I heard a good analogy the other day. "when your drinking a PBR you sip and say wow this beer tastes bad. but when you drink a light BMC you sip it and say wow this water tastes bad"

Have to admit that when you're floating in the middle of a lake on 4th of July weekend a cold Coors Light can really fit the bill.

As Papazian said "much of the time my favorite beer is the one that's in my hand" or something like that

Agreed. A cold BMC can actually be refreshing on a hot day. Tasty beers...not so much.

FWIW, I have no problem with BMC style beers... I think of fizzy yellow beer as swill. If I'm drinking just to be sociable or cool off on a hot day I don't feel like wasting a more flavorful beer that I can take the time to enjoy later.

However, when it comes to my swill I prefer Miller or will gladly take Coors and skip Bud altogether. I stopped drinking Anheuser Busch products about 2 months ago for reasons similar to why I stopped shopping at Wal-Mart about 2 1/2 years ago. It took a minute or two of consideration because I kind of liked the American Ale, but I'm not giving my money to that company. I'd much rather support a company like Yuengling, but I personally think Yuengling is a step above swill and I don't think of it as BMC.

And, just for the record, MGD 64 (at 2.8%) is awesome when you need to keep your BAC under .08% and tastes noticeably better than Bud Select 55!

i'll drink it occasionally, usually like all of you guys, when you're outside just looking to cool off, etc.

where i live there are tons of micro options, and a lot of them are close enough to BMC prices that if i'm looking for taste, there's no contest.

I got done mowing the lawn and doing other yard work yesterday. Went into the house to grab a brew, actually kinda hoping for one of the beers a buddy left over from a cookout a while back. When I discovered that they were all gone, I "settled" for one of my pale ales. It was damn delicious when I was that hot and thirsty, but I was actually disappointed that I drank it so fast I really didn't get an opportunity to enjoy it.

So yeah, I can understand where BMCs are good for if you need a quick and dirty refreshment so you can save the homebrew for the good relaxing times.

Hmmm Bud is just crap, Miller is pretty crap and coors light is just terrible, it's like you took a bud and cut it with mineral water.

I don't drink any of the above as they are the reason that American beer has a bad name as being watered down rubbish.

I drink macro beers, but not the B the M or the C themselves.

My macro swill option is Stella Artois and that's what I'd tend to have at home if my homebrew pipeline is broken for whatever reaason.

That's right. I'll drink a BMC every now and then and I find it to be perfectly acceptable. Do I think it's great beer? No. Do I like it? Sometimes.

Here's how I see it... There are a couple items on the menu at Taco Bell that I kinda like. Now, when I'm in the mood for mexican food do I think of those items? No. Sometimes though I really want some Taco Bell.

Same thing with BMC. 95% of the time I would much prefer to stay away. But there is that 5%... Is it when I'm in the mood for good beer? No. Sometimes though one or six bottles of BMC sounds good.

So there... :D

Personally, i dont drink ANY BMC products, based strictly on taste. I have yet to find a BMC beer that i like,and i do not like the light American lager style at all. Maybe if they offered a GOOD stout i might consider it, or a GOOD porter. Hell i dont even drink Guinness because i consider it the BMC of stouts. So if i have to pay more for a 6 pack of something that tastes good so be it.

Hmmm Bud is just crap, Miller is pretty crap and coors light is just terrible, it's like you took a bud and cut it with mineral water.

I don't drink any of the above as they are the reason that American beer has a bad name as being watered down rubbish.

I drink macro beers, but not the B the M or the C themselves.

My macro swill option is Stella Artois and that's what I'd tend to have at home if my homebrew pipeline is broken for whatever reaason.

Do you realize that Stella Artois is Owned by InBev?

Do you realize that Stella Artois is Owned by InBev?

As is most Macro beer, but it's BMC being discussed, I have addressed the B, the M, and the C specifically.

It's not an anti-corporate thing, I hardly ever buy from micros unless I am out in specific pubs, I mostly drink homebrew, but I brew homebrew that I would buy, so basically none of your weirdass 9% baltic cherry porter BS, light ales, bitters and sessionables is my thing, so they kinda fit in with the BMC school of thought anyway.

When I buy BMC I buy the Home Draft Systems so I can re-use them. I just killed one of Coors Light last night. I don't think I'll be buying Coors Light anytime soon. Miller Lite taste "better" the Coors Light IMO. Now, If I'm at the bar and want to drink on the cheap, I will go with a Highlife. If I'm at a brew pub I wouldn't even dream of it.
If I really want to up the ante I order Maker's Whiskey Manhattan sweet.

I don't hate ALL BMC, just, it seems "Bud" type products. So trying various "Lagers" including those from microbreweries, I made a list of the ones I hated and the ones that were ok; trying to figure out why I liked some and not the others. Finding out that I like corn adjuncted lagers and not rice ones like sapporo and bud.

Millers, Michelob, Labatts, PBR, Strohs, Schlitz, I will drink, and many like Strohs and pabsts (the original 70's recipes I will actually buy and enjoy...to me te two main bud products just taste horrible to me.

I really like Labatt's blue.

I don't hate ALL BMC, just, it seems "Bud" type products. So trying various "Lagers" including those from microbreweries, I made a list of the ones I hated and the ones that were ok; trying to figure out why I liked some and not the others. Finding out that I like corn adjuncted lagers and not rice ones like sapporo and bud.

Millers, Michelob, Labatts, PBR, Strohs, Schlitz, I will drink, and many like Strohs and pabsts (the original 70's recipes I will actually buy and enjoy...to me te two main bud products just taste horrible to me.

Holy SHT! Your study reinforces exactly my latent thoughts on BMC!

I never went past the "Bud sucks, but I can drink Miller" point. Turns out that I feel the same way about all of those beers you listed.

Now what the hell am I going to do with the 2 pounds of flaked rice I bought?

The champange of beers is quite enjoyable on a hot day. Nice and smooth.

I spent my college years drinking as much of this stuff as i could get my hands on. Its where my love affair with beer started. I still drink B (Budweiser) and M (miller light) but no variety C.

Holy SHT! Your study reinforces exactly my latent thoughts on BMC!

I never went past the "Bud sucks, but I can drink Miller" point. Turns out that I feel the same way about all of those beers you listed.

Now what the hell am I going to do with the 2 pounds of flaked rice I bought?

Nasi Bubur

In the summer I will pick up some schlitz, 1970's formula and miller high life. Thats about it though

I used to be a Miller Lite guy. Don't really like it much anymore but will still drink it occasionally. I won't drink budlight. I just don't like like it. Too carbonated and too watery for me. I will drink PBR quite often.

Man I sound terrible now I always have a 30 rack of stones in my fridge I love my homebrew and micro beers but I also really like cheap beer I will drink damn near any beer and enjoy the Hell out of it must just be me

I'll drink any beer if it's free. ANY beer. Sometimes I'm in the mood to throw back 12 or so and still see straight. That's where PBR comes in. Easy to drink mass quantities.

Interesting... I suppose my tastes are the same but I haven't really thought about why I don't really like most Bud products. I enjoy products from Miller and Coors now and then but Bud just never did it for me.

This will require a thorough investigation! :drunk:

If I have a choice I don't drink BMC. At the bar I'll buy full price craft over today's special pitzwasser. While at a wedding the other weekend I had the choice of Bud, Bud Light, or Michelob Ultra. I drank sweet tea until I just had to have a beer. I went with Bud.

I see a lot of you guys will drink that stuff to quench thirst. If I'm just looking to quench my thirst I'll have water. If I'm looking to drink a beer I'll drink beer, not a water/beer hybrid.

before i started to drink mostly craft beer and now my own homebrew ... I drank coors original a lot .... and I will still pick up a sixer of it now and then ... cheap and IMO very quaffable .. .. dont like most the others tho ...

I see a lot of you guys will drink that stuff to quench thirst. If I'm just looking to quench my thirst I'll have water. If I'm looking to drink a beer I'll drink beer, not a water/beer hybrid.

i didn't see anyone say quence thirst.
i saw "refreshing," "cool," and "hits the spot" but nothing about thirst.

if i'm thirsty (or not thirsty, but enjoying a beer) i drink water or juice.

Back