I'm in Drogheda, Ireland and need a good beer bar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joety

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I've had plenty of near perfect pints of Guiness already. Other than that I've seen Carlsberg, Heineken, Smithwicks and Bud everywhere. Looking for a bit more selection.

Stop looking and enjoy.

I thought I was the only one thinking that. Here you are in the Beer Capital of the UK and have lovely lasses running around everywhere... throw a stone 30 meters and you can hit a pub. Pubs are family owned for the most part (never saw one that wasn't but I wasn't in every place in Ireland.) It is a SOCIAL event where people just gather to have some good times. I loved it there.

I thought I was the only one thinking that. Here you are in the Beer Capital of the UK and have lovely lasses running around everywhere... throw a stone 30 meters and you can hit a pub. Pubs are family owned for the most part (never saw one that wasn't but I wasn't in every place in Ireland.) It is a SOCIAL event where people just gather to have some good times. I loved it there.

Dude, if you told an Irishman he lived in the UK you'd get knifed. This is the independent Republic or Ireland. They still talk about Cromwell.

Problem is that Drogheda is not Dublin nor is it the countryside.

I meant the UK islands region. Yes, I am aware of the history of Ireland. :)

I also was out on the Shannon side and only for a brief time. Still, I was quite the "standout" despite my attempts not to talk, act, walk or stumble like an American. I did see pubs just nearly everywhere. Just as legend had it.

I am sorry I never really got out much but I was in transit. Also, this is 1990 when I was there. Long time past. I know the roads got much better because I had a friend just come back from there.

Oh, you also get knifed in Scotland if you call them English. :)

Much better beer experience last night. Had several tall mugs of Fischer's at the Eastern Seaboard restaurant, followed by two glasses of Erdinger at the Black Bull, which was fantastic. I also tried the Carlsberg to see what all the fuss is about. I'm stil wondering.

Finished the night with an excellent pint of Guinness back at the hotel.

I don't know if the Fischer's is the same one you find in swing top bottles in the U.S., but I don't recall it tasting nearly this good.

Beer Capital of the UK
I meant the UK islands region

The islands are referred to as the British Isles, where as the UK is a country. Drogheda is in the Republic of Ireland. :cross:

In relation to good beer, if you get down to Dublin the two best bars for beer selection are the Porterhouse Central and the Bull & Castle. If you can't get to Dublin check out drinkstore.ie, great selection of beer and they deliver nationwide. If you want to try the best Irish beer I would go with Dungarvan Black Rock Stout, it is from a new Irish Microbrewery only opened this year but their beers are great.

Ya I was going to say Porterhouse and bull and castle if you make it to dublin but I don't know Drogheda that well. (A 3 hour drive over here is considered a long way away!)

Thanks, guys, I did make it down to Dublin for a night and tried the Porterhouse near the Temple Bar district. The beers were very good, which made me feel better after missing the last Jameson tour of the evening just before. My favorite was the Oyster Stout.

I'm in Amsterdam now and heading back to Milwaukee tomorrow morning. Had a tour of Brouwerij 't Ij. I highly recommend that for anyone visiting. The Heineken tour was entertaining, but very similar in style to the Guinness tour we took a couple days earlier, in that you aren't so much touring a working brewery as you are a museum to the company. The Browerij 't Ij person knew more about brewing beer than all the people on the Heineken and Guinness tours combined. I got a blank stare from the guy demonstrating the Heineken ingredients when I asked him what variety of hops they use. A gal showing off roasted barley told me they use 10% roasted barley, 10% malted barley and 80% unmalted barley. I would think that would be difficult to convert.

Back