I'm brewing today, dammit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrogpilot73

Loving the hobby
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last weekend's remodel of the bathroom prevented me from brewing, and it's been raining damn near non-stop here. SWMBO just helped me set up the tailgating tent in the backyard. I'm brewing today, dammit! That is all.

Already smacked my smack pack. Heading off to Food Lion to exchange my propane tank, and get some ice (I'm using a combo immersion cooler/ice bath - works out to about 12 minutes boil to pitch temp). Then, it's on like Donkey Kong!

How do you use the ice bath?

I have friends who talked about moving the kettle into the bath and recirculating water from the bath through the chiller. Seemed to me that this system would stabilize at a pretty high temp unless you added more ice, which would not be an efficient use of the ice. Don't know if it's worked for them, though.

I put ice + water in an Igloo cube cooler. 20 minutes left in the boil, the immersion chiller (already hooked up to the faucet) is put in. Once I kill the flame, the brew pot goes in the ice+water bath in the cooler and the water is turned on for the immersion chiller.

Sounds like a good approach. I've tried prepping ice water to pump through the chiller after dropping temp to about 150dF with tap water. Really helps get me to fermentation temps on those 100+ summer days.

*HIGH FIVE* Man, I love slappin' five... especially over the interwebs

Dude, when you gotta brew, you gotta brew!

I just got done with my brewday as well.. I brewed a Big Ben Pale Ale (midwest kit) and the weather wasn't great here neither. Got a few sprinkles a few times, and on top of it all i couldn't keep a good boil going in these cold temps.. MAN, i need a different burner. :(

But all is done, and got some more beer for in a couple of months..

Now i'm off to to make me some soup for tomorrow (5 gals. in my brewpot) and drink some more homebrew :mug:

Congrats on a good brewday!

Don't let the elements deter you! Rain, snow, freezing temps... You can still make beer it just takes a little thinking.

I got one also. Austin HB Cream Ale. I'm doing the "No Chill" method for the first time also. It's setting in the Winpak and still over 100*. I pulled a small batch and will make a starter out if it.

Back