I'm brewing a gruit this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I've only found two people on the internet who shares their experiances brewing a Gruit. I must explore. I'm going to brew a 10 gallon batch this weekend. I'm spoiled to live near The Herb Pantry which has everything I could possibly need.

BUT!

I'm looking for a general recipe to use. Something that collective and can be considered the most conformative gruit.

I have 20lbs of 2-row american pale and Dry English Yeast / London Yeast

Let's collaborate and explore this beast called gruit.

:fro:

These intrigue me also. Here's a recipe from BYO a few issues back:
For 5 gallons!
OG 1.064
FG 1.014
SRM 45
ABV 6.6%

8.5# 2-row
1# Flaked Barley
2.5# Dark Munich malt
0.5# Roasted Barley
1# Dark Wheat Malt

0.5oz Dried Lavender
2oz Dried woodruff
0.5oz Dried Juniper Berries
0.5oz Dried Rosemary

Ale yeast

Steep the herbs in two quarts of boiled water for about an hour

Mash grains at 152

Boil the collected wort for 30 minutes and turn off heat

Strain the herb tea into the wort and lest rest for 30 minutes

Cool and ferment as per usual!

Let me know how it goes, sounds fun.

:rockin:

I came across that link aswell, but I'm not going to let that invade my judgement on how to approach this beast.

I've already gathered my ingredients, and I would like if someone could tell me what the Woodruff does, or how it plays a part in some guit recipes? I'm skimping on the woodruff and I don't even know if its ok to do that :/

I completed my gruit, and I'm very impressed with the results. It has a very nice deep lavender flavor to it. And I can not taste much sweetness (mostly becuase I used a dry yeast).

I wish I could give yall a taste!

Made a 10 gallon all grain batch :

16lbs American Pale 2-row
2lbs Rice

The idea was to make a beer as dry as possible so I wouldn't have to add too much Woodruff to bitter it out.

The tea was made from :

1oz Lavender(Special Blue), 1oz Woodruff, 1oz Juniper Berries, and 1oz Rosemary

I boiled the wort for 30 minutes, then tossed in the tea bag while I stirred for two minutes.

Waited for the sediement to settle and cooled in my platechiller and it came out quite nice.

My efficency was horrible(58%, I think i rushed the sparge), but I was looking for flavor anywho.

Aerated with an airpump for 30 minutes per batch (split along two 6 gallon glass carboys)

Pitched An ample amount of White Labs Dry English Ale yeast.

Back