I'm Back!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I'm back! After an extended brewing hiatus the result of the usual stuff - had two kids, lost my enthusiasm for brewing and the work it entailed, etc. - I've finally gotten back into the game. I'm sure many of you have gone through similar lapses in your brewing that comes with most hobbies. I was surprised when I first started brewing back in 2006 or whenever that I actually stuck with it for so long. I pick up and drop most hobbies in spans measured by days and weeks, so the years of rabid homebrewing between 2006 and 2012 were somewhat unexpected, but a welcome diversion. With two young children, however, I just couldn't find the 7 or 8 hours it would take to brew anymore. So I made the decision to buy a Grainfather. At first, I felt a bit like I was cheating, or taking the easy way out, since from the beginning I've been brewing all grain the old fashioned way with several pots and a big cooler. But what I've convinced myself is that given the choice between using the Grainfather or not brewing at all, I'll use the Grainfather. And I must say, it seems to produce some decent beer. And the 4-5 hours it takes to rip through a batch along with an easier and faster cleanup give me that option to brew, even while watching two little troublemakers. I picked it up in time for Memorial Day weekend, and put down a Saison and a British Pale Ale that weekend. The next I brewed up a bitter and this weekend I've got an Old Speckled Hen clone lined up. That will be 4 beers in 3 weeks, more than I've brewed in the last 3 years! I guess the fire has been rekindled. I'm already drinking the British Pale Ale, and despite it still being a bit hazy, it tastes great (less than 2 weeks from brewday)!

Anyway, I guess that's enough rambling for one post. Just wanted to announce my return since I know you all missed me.:mug:

Welcome back! Sometimes I wonder where some of the more prominent / prolific members from when I joined HBT in 2009 went. Glad to see you have found a way to brew again. I know someone that has a Grainfather and loves it. Look forward to "seeing' you back on the board. Cheers!

Back