I'm an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuglehaus

Reaction score
Let's say.. Hypothetically speaking of course. You were trying to mount weldless fitting into a pot and you used the wrong hole bit and drilled a ~1.75" hole... Not that this happened of course. How would this situation be salvaged (simply...no welding)? I've been looking for 2 1/2 in washers with correct inside diameter to just go from there, but I'm having trouble finding a big enough washer and Oring (or I'm not smart enough to figure out)... Any thoughts? Links to what I'm looking for?

I was shooting for ~1in hole

Hmmmmm. Buy a big stopper that fits in the hole, drill a tiny hole in it and stick a cheapie meat thermometer through it. Then drill another hole for your weldless fitting.

If a stopper won't work, you may need to find some pipe that's about that size, and put a non drilled pipe female end on it... and a washer, gasket and nut on the inside, IF you can find one that size. See if Mcmaster-carr can help :)

This might work.

Mcmaster carr part numbers

1" X 1/2" bushing - 4464K275
1" locknut - 4464K586
SS washer. 92141A041
Little big on the ID but close as you can get without spending $$$
Silicon Gasket - 8521T23

You would need to reduce down on one side of this fitting if you want to connect a dip tube or something inside the pot.

96853A155 McMaster 2" OD, 1" ID
If you go with a washer too thick it won't make the curve, I am not sure if this will work without brazing it on.

Depending on the value of the pot, you might be better off starting over or taking it to a welder.

How much were you drinking when you drilled that hole? Cut way back on the next attempt!

Heh, sadly I was sober, I even had my calipers out and carefully measured.....wait for it.... the INSIDE of the hole saw bell to make sure it was close... I suck... I'm gonna go to mcmaster and look up some of this stuff, the first washer was 36 bucks...lol... jesus.. this pot was 40 shipped (palm restaurant supply deal from another thread..)

K, I'm going with Bargain's design, just ordered from mcmaster... if it work, I'll buy a ton of stuff from you.... fair is fair.

Latest posts

Back