I'm all about that Dank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6midgets

Big & Tall Brewing
Reaction score
I'm doing some research on the Dankest hop or hop combo. I want to brew a super dank IIPA. My question is what hop or hop combo do ya'll think has the most dank qualities that would be good for this recipe?

OP, I'm a fan of hops and herbs alike. Each has it's place, and they compliment one another beautifully in their typical state. But I have yet to hear of a decent marriage when their purposes cross.

Do you really want a beer to smell / taste green? If I'm off, please clarify your intent. I'd love to learn something here, but these things may be better off mutually exclusive. And that's not so bad friend.

Please don’t...population is soaring because too many people like “dank”!

well, that ship sailed long ago when the californians started their exodus to colorado. the area around evans and broadway has a permanent dank smell now

Feed your dog a 1/2lb of Sorachi Ace and 1/4lb of Chinook then follow him around with your hop filter. No need to sanitize if you're adding to the boil.

sort of like that coffee people pay obscene amounts for, the stuff that is digested and crapped out by a feline-ish animal? nice

OP, I'm a fan of hops and herbs alike. Each has it's place, and they compliment one another beautifully in their typical state. But I have yet to hear of a decent marriage when their purposes cross.

Do you really want a beer to smell / taste green? If I'm off, please clarify your intent. I'd love to learn something here, but these things may be better off mutually exclusive. And that's not so bad friend.

I have a friend that used to be a stoner but now is a family man. However he loves dank IPA's because of his past. I'm gonna make him the dankest IIPA I can for his birthday.

I have a friend that used to be a stoner but now is a family man. However he loves dank IPA's because of his past. I'm gonna make him the dankest IIPA I can for his birthday.

What are his favorite commercial IPAs? A clone suggestion would be a starting point to solve this problem.

Hahaha, we have similar friends I guess. Quite a cool idea, let me know if you succeeded and If so, pls share the recipe!

so far the most common recommendations between all of you are Simcoe/Apollo/Columbus

I recently brewed an IPA with X331/Strata, Citra, Simcoe in a 2:1:1 ratio. The smell was very dank but the finished flavor was pure grapefruit, no dank at all. I have a few ounces left and will try to combine them with some apollo and columbus.

What does Dank mean?

Haha, great question. Born and raised in fort collins, co, I can help chime in here. Dank has been used as a slang term for umm, hops sister plant oregano ;). For some and certainly before legalization it meant high quality or potent. Even to describe food, like "man that burrito was dank". That oregano is super dank. But it also can be used for smell as mentioned above, like... that hop smells dank. Meaning resinous like or christmas tree like. In this case I think op doesnt just want strong hop flavor but a strong hop flavor that is also very pungent in a resinous, tree like way. I think simcoe, columbus and the like are on the right path.

According to Urban Dictionary now people are using the term just to seem cool. So next time you're at the pub you can say, man that scotch is dank, meaning great smell, great quality, good and desirable. You might get a few weird looks if you start saying that it's Diggity dank or Diggity wiggity dank or Diggity wiggity Diggity dank. As there are now different levels of dankness. Something like a New England IPA could never be dank I don't think, but a West Coast IPA for sure. Dankapotamus, dankasorus rex, and dankalicious are a few more for you.

Apollo for sure. Columbus gives a nice dank quality. I find the combo of Citra and Mosaic gives a nice dank grapefruit flavor in the whirlpool and dry hop. Simcoe, Comet and Strata are also good dank hops. Are you brewing a West Coast style or east Coast style IPA? If you want max bitterness, then do whatever combo you want. If you are going for more of a dank aroma, I'd bitter with Columbus and/or Apollo and then some combination of the hops in the aroma and flavor additions. I'd definitely try a whirlpool with some hops, too. I get a good dank quality from high temp whirlpools.

As for a commercial example, i think Born Yesterday from lagunitas is about as dank as it gets. I'd always heard the term dank used to describe beers but i never really got it from any beer until I had Born Yesterday a few years back. It literally tasted like it was infused with marijuana smoke. I took a sip and I thought to myself "so THIS is what a dank beer is!"

Yes that is exactly what i"m shooting for.

Believe me, I'm with you on what dank means when it comes to IPAs. You definitely want Apollo in there somewhere. That's probably the dankest hop I can think of. Strata is also good. The description for Strata is basically my target aroma description: "Fresh tropical citrus, with a hint of wafting joint smoke from around the block”. I did a Citra/Strata IPA that was super dank.

I'm planning a NEIPA using mainly Citra with a bit of Mosaic. If I want to eliminate the dank, is it the Mosaic I would leave out?

Haha, great question. Born and raised in fort collins, co, I can help chime in here. Dank has been used as a slang term for umm, hops sister plant oregano ;). For some and certainly before legalization it meant high quality or potent. Even to describe food, like "man that burrito was dank". That oregano is super dank. But it also can be used for smell as mentioned above, like... that hop smells dank. Meaning resinous like or christmas tree like. In this case I think op doesnt just want strong hop flavor but a strong hop flavor that is also very pungent in a resinous, tree like way. I think simcoe, columbus and the like are on the right path.

According to Urban Dictionary now people are using the term just to seem cool. So next time you're at the pub you can say, man that scotch is dank, meaning great smell, great quality, good and desirable. You might get a few weird looks if you start saying that it's Diggity dank or Diggity wiggity dank or Diggity wiggity Diggity dank. As there are now different levels of dankness. Something like a New England IPA could never be dank I don't think, but a West Coast IPA for sure. Dankapotamus, dankasorus rex, and dankalicious are a few more for you.

Hahahahah, thanks mate! Pretty damn dank description :D

I just brewed an indian red yesterday that was the most dank thing I ever brewed. Whole kitchen smelled like a coffee shop. It was simcoe, admiral for bittering and green bullet. Simcoe and green bullet @5min. When pitching the Notti this morning, the wort smelled like "the art teachers lounge".

So if you want that dank, those three are deffinitely worth a look, it wasn't my intention to create something that dank, though :D

I'm brewing my Dank double IPA today. I still haven't decided on the hop schedule just yet it will be a game time decision. I'll post the recipe when I get done.

My problem is that I am old enough to remember "dank" meaning this:

dank
daNGk/
adjective

1. disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold.
    synonyms: damp, musty, chilly, clammy, moist, wet, unaired, humid
    "the dank basement"
I keep looking for the beer that smells like a wet basement!

My Hop schedule went like this
Hop shot @ 90min
1oz simcoe @ 60min
1oz comet @ 20min
1oz chinook @ 0mins
Added 48 oz frozen pineapple juice
Cooled the wort to 175 degree F
1oz of each simcoe comet apollo and chinook for 60 minutes

Grain bill was
10lb 2-row
1lb honey malt
12oz special b
1lbs golden naked oats

Sounds really interesting. Have you brewed with a lot of juice? I love fruit beers but have been too lazy to make many of them. Juice seems like a great way to go, even in the secondary maybe? I know the fruit loses some scent and flavor from fermentation, but the juice not so much. Anyways that's a pretty cool recipe.

Last edited:

Good post, but I disagree with your comment about NEIPAs could never be dank. To the contrary, many are. A local brewery called Pulpit Rock has a NEIPA called Saftig that is really dank. Many Trillium beers are dank as well ( probably from their heavy use of columbus ).

Sounds really interesting. Have you brewed with a lot of juice? I love fruit beers but have been too lazy to make many of them. Juice seems like a great way to go, even in the secondary maybe? I know the fruit loses some scent and flavor from fermentation, but the juice not so much. Anyways that's a pretty cool recipe.

I normally only use fruit juice in my IPA's. I mainly just use it to get the wort temp down to 175 degrees F. That's where I like to do my whirlpool because the hops won't impart bitterness at that temp. I've found that pineapple juice pairs well with dank hops.

Latest posts

Back