I'm a Professional

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefDougAU

Reaction score
Looks like I just transitioned my hobby into a career, I just accepted a chef job that will also include starting up and running a micro-brewery in a historic boutique hotel. Maybe this is the Segway into a way to remain productive when my body can no longer handle the demands of kitchen life, Wish me luck.:mug:

That's awesome and congrats! I don't call it work if it is something you really enjoy doing. Good luck with your future endeavors! :mug:

I took that ride. I started my pro brewing career by taking a chef/brewmaster position at the brewpub I am at. I hope you like long hours. I used to average 80 hr weeks between keeping the kitchen and taps running. Needless to say I burned out very quickly. Within 6 months. So, I took a pay cut so I could just brew and not have to cook. Congratulations its very fun and rewarding!! My advise to you is delegate kitchen responsibilities to the minions so you can BREW.
Cheers!

Congratulations to you! I have to admit that a large part of me is jealous of you!

I took that ride. I started my pro brewing career by taking a chef/brewmaster position at the brewpub I am at. I hope you like long hours. I used to average 80 hr weeks between keeping the kitchen and taps running. Needless to say I burned out very quickly. Within 6 months. So, I took a pay cut so I could just brew and not have to cook. Congratulations its very fun and rewarding!! My advise to you is delegate kitchen responsibilities to the minions so you can BREW.
Cheers!

I will not be the Exec. Chef... I will actually be mentoring and training a young chef that is moving into the position (after 33 years in the biz, I prefer less responsibility anyway).;) As soon as we get the brewery operational, I expect to spend the greater part of my time brewing. We agreed on a 50-55 hour work week...

I will not be the Exec. Chef... I will actually be mentoring and training a young chef that is moving into the position (after 33 years in the biz, I prefer less responsibility anyway).;) As soon as we get the brewery operational, I expect to spend the greater part of my time brewing. We agreed on a 50-55 hour work week...

Hell yeah! I wish you the best of luck. If you are ever in the Catskill Mountains in NY stop by Hammo's Brewpub and Lodge and ask for Ryan. BTW what is the name of your new venture?

Looks like I just transitioned my hobby into a career, I just accepted a chef job that will also include starting up and running a micro-brewery in a historic boutique hotel. Maybe this is the Segway into a way to remain productive when my body can no longer handle the demands of kitchen life, Wish me luck.:mug:

Congrats! Keep us posted on when it opens. I will pop on over and have a beer

Back