Illustrating a glass of beer in Photoshop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't gotten very familiar with my CS2 but, wouldn;t it be easier to just shoot a photo of a glass of beer and then mask and convert to vector graphics?

Might be a dumb question but can you convert a jpeg or gif to a vector graphic if I don't have photoshop?

Oh yeah?

Here's mine...

beerdraw.jpg

take that... :D

Might be a dumb question but can you convert a jpeg or gif to a vector graphic if I don't have photoshop?

You can, but I'm guessing that if you don't have Photoshop then you probably don't have Illustrator. For simple raster images it's pretty easy if you use the Live Trace feature in Illustrator. The more complex the raster image, the more complex the conversion is to vector. When it's all said and done, however, you are really never going to get what you want from the conversion. It will be close, but not perfect. I know there are a few open-source vector programs out there, but I'm not too familiar with them. Try looking around. They might have a feature similar to Live Trace in Illustrator.

All kidding aside, this might come in handy for some of the more talented types when making labels and such.

Live trace in Illustrator is pretty clever but it doesn't do well with pictures with a lot of color depth. It helps to posterize the image first.

I took the original low res output from www.says-it.com that looked like this:

wheatring.gif

Then I livetraced it and used photoshop to make this version:

wheatring.jpg

Thanks! I was looking for a high res beer background for a gift certificate and couldn't find one. I had to run a low res one through a filter and it looked stupid. I'll bookmark that and give it a shot sometime!

you can, but it's easiest through illustrator, and it's not exactly the best. The live trace option works, but it really only works for simple flat raster graphics.

Back