I'll never drink an IPA again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uatuba

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here brewing an IIPA, and hop additions are plentiful and frequent. I put all of my hop pellets in a jar to make it easier to pour some out when it is time to add some.

I also had a jar of planters peanuts to snack on while boiling. I have also had a few home brews. And I'm messing around on the internet. So...a handful of hops popped into my mouth and some curse words that probably have the neighbors calling the cops, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to drink anything hoppy again.

That is why I use little plastic baggies.

Of course my neighbors catch glimpses of me breathing deeply from a plastic bag with little green pellets in it.

You sir, will someday be hailed as pioneer.

Imagine a bunch of hop heads sitting in a tap room looking for that "extra smack of hopiness". They engage in the newest trendy practice, pop a hop pellet or two in their mouths and chase it down with their favorite 100+ IBU beverage. One of them, being the nerd of obscure beer knowledge, says, "Ya know, there was once this home brewer in Alabama, a bunch of hop pellets and a jar of peanuts..............":D

You guys now have me wondering what peanuts in the boil would do. Probably help with head retention.

Oh how I long for peanuts in the boil...me being from Georgia and all. :tank:

I tried a Hallertauer pellet once. Took about two days for that taste to wear off. Stuck forever in memory now that flavor is.

This was a 3:1:1 ratio of Amarillo:Simcoe:Warrior that made up the good-sized handful...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So I'm sitting here brewing an IIPA, and hop additions are plentiful and frequent. I put all of my hop pellets in a jar to make it easier to pour some out when it is time to add some.

I also had a jar of planters peanuts to snack on while boiling. I have also had a few home brews. And I'm messing around on the internet. So...a handful of hops popped into my mouth and some curse words that probably have the neighbors calling the cops, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to drink anything hoppy again.

I frequently chew on hops as it is.......... but mild hops, and not in pellet form.... I wonder if I'm the only one ;-) ..........

H.W.

I frequently chew on hops as it is.......... but mild hops, and not in pellet form.... I wonder if I'm the only one ;-) ..........

H.W.

After growing my own, I'd take some of the cones that were "ahead of the curve" and chew on those as I did housework. Tuck one in your lip for a while. Its not as bad as it sounds. Willamette was a favorite.

But a pellet? That's a different story.

It might have been better if you of had a hand full of malted grain to balance those hop peanuts out.

If I see a guy on a street corner ten years from now with a hop shot and rubber band tied to his arm I'll know it was you.
image_221.jpg

Swmbo and I frequently eat hop pellets. Usually only one. The first time I got Citra pellets though they were 17.8% and a little strong. But I can handle that now too. I already know not to do it with whole comes because of the little barbs they got

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Swmbo and I frequently eat hop pellets. Usually only one. The first time I got Citra pellets though they were 17.8% and a little strong. But I can handle that now too. I already know not to do it with whole comes because of the little barbs they got

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I usually taste a pellet when I get a new variety to work with. I don't think I'd munch on a handful, but one or two is manageable. Maybe I've gotten desensitized.

OP did you at least spit the hops into your boil so they didn't go to waste?:cross:

I'm not saying I did scoop the partially chewed hop mush off the ground and put them in the fermenter, but I, not saying I didn't, either.

Back