IKEA 3-Tier Shelf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejonpack

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the TROFAST frame from IKEA for a very basic 3-tier setup? I'm thinking that it would need to be adjusted to increase the height difference between the tiers. Could also add some shelves to store supplies below. Main concern is the fact that it's made of particleboard.

Anyone try something similar?

I've purchased my fair share of IKEA furniture over the years and there is no way I'd trust any of it with the weight even a 5 gallon 3 tier system would weigh. All of their furniture is particle or fiber board held together with pegs and cam-lock fasteners. I've actually ripped them out on a dresser because I over tightened one.

I think that shelf system would need some serious reinforcement. If it was bumped from the side I could see it ripping apart at the cam-locks. That said I think you could replicate that self with real wood and proper wood working techniques for a reasonable amount.

What they said. I would trust it with storage of stuff, between brew days, equipment, bins of grain and so forth, but I wouldn't trust it with 80lb jugs of hot or fermenting liquid.
For fermenting or storage of liquid, the thermoplastic or metal shelving units.
For a brewing stand, I wouldn;t go with anything like that. I'd be looking at a purpose-built unit, personally.

Don't hate on Ikea! After a bit of reinforcement, mine works just fine. :D
brewstand.jpg

Seville Classics 18" x 18" shelves, I bought 5 shelves, 3 pairs legs, and made this. I topped each shelf with a tile, cut to fit with an angle grinder. Works awesome, super strong, super cheap, < $100.

3 tier.jpg

No way I'd use that. it's paper covered fiber board. Get it wet and you're done. We have the Trofast stuff in our kid's rooms. It's just fine for that. Not heavy pots of boiling liquid :drunk:

I bought a steel shelving system from Costco for $30 to use as my stand (ETA: Similar to Cycloman's above, but just a single column of shelves). It holds two HD 5 gal orange round coolers, a CFC and the kettle quite happily (kettle sits on a Camp Chef burner when in use).

I have that Ikea part in our childrens playroom. If I remember correctdly, these are made to hold the weight of a child, so they can climb on it.

Latest posts

Back