IIPA Recipe Help-Hopback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
My brother in law bought me a Blichmann Hop Rocket for Christmas that I would like to put to good use. The last couple self created recipes have not been the best, so I am turning here to look for guidance.

I was leaning towards a simple grain bill, possibly just 2 row and C60 and cara pils since I have a ton of it. Maybe some vienna? Malts I have on hand:
2 Row
MO
Pils
Vienna
Lt Munich
Rye
Honey
Chocolate
Roasted Barley
White Wheat
Crystal 60

The hops and hop schedule is what I am really struggling with. I brew mostly wheats, hefes and the occasional porter, so nothing with an extensive hop schedule.

These are the following hops I have on hand-pellet form,:
Golding (1 lb)
magnum (fresh, 1 lb),
nelson sauv. (4 ounces)
falconers flight (4 ounces)

Golding, nelson and falconers are about 1 -1.5 years old but still in the factory sealed wrapping. They have been stored in the freezer.

And whole hops, all or fresh from last weeks order from hops direct, 1 lb of everything:
Crystal
Hallertau
Hersbucker
Belma
Northern Brewer
Fuggle
Challenger

I usually run straight from the bk to the carboy via my plate chiller (single pass). The hop rocket can hold up to 3 ounces of whole hops.

Thanks
Alex

Last edited:
I thought about that, but I usually reserve my smash recipes for 1 gallon test batches, just incase I dont like them. Push comes to shove, that is an option.

Leaning towards the following grain bill

18 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 60
6 oz cara pils
1 lb sugar

For my equipment that puts me at 1.083 sg. Is a full lb too much crystal? Do I have any good hop pairings with that is listed? I really struggle with hop pairings.

18 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 60
6 oz cara pils
1 lb sugar

For my equipment that puts me at 1.083 sg. Is a full lb too much crystal? Do I have any good hop pairings with that is listed? I really struggle with hop pairings.

i'd drop the crystal or at least cut it in half. what quantity of hops do you have?

If you listed the amounts of each ingredient in an easy to read format, then more people could help vs. shooting everything out in paragraph format with no quantities.

That is a lot of ingredients. Are they fresh or quite old? What yeast are you using and what style of beer would you like to brew? I would assume a beer with a decent level of hop presence given that you want to use a hopback and since you have about a dozen different hop varieties on hand. IPA, APA, hoppy amber?

I just received my bulk order, everything listed in my first post I have a full pound of.

bitter with magnum
late (15-0 min) NB/Belma
hopback with Crystal
dry hop with FF/Nelson

there are 50 other combos that'll work too.

Thanks. I'll run a few combos through beersmith and see how it looks.

A few other simple iipa recipes I looked at listed 95% 2 row and 5% crystal for grist percentages. That's is where the lb of c60 came from.

18 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 60
6 oz cara pils
1 lb sugar

I don't think you have a good combo of hops for a hoppy IIPA. You can bitter with magnum, but I'd prefer an IIPA to have some typical US citrusy/piney/floral hops. I think the traditional "C" hops are good for this, as well as some newer hops like simcoe and amarillo.

If you listed the amounts of each ingredient in an easy to read format, then more people could help vs. shooting everything out in paragraph format with no quantities.

That is a lot of ingredients. Are they fresh or quite old? What yeast are you using and what style of beer would you like to brew? I would assume a beer with a decent level of hop presence given that you want to use a hopback and since you have about a dozen different hop varieties on hand. IPA, APA, hoppy amber?

Sorry for the format, thats what I get for posting from my phone. Original post is edited, should be easier to read.

As for the style, I really just want to try out the hopback. The whole hops are from a recent order, some of the pelles are 1.5 years old. Malts are all stored in buckets with gamma lids, so they should be good to go.

I was leaning towards an ipa/iipa if I have the ingredients to support the style, if not no big deal.

Back